Thread Rating:
  • 24 Vote(s) - 2.96 Average

OfCom To Censor Video On Demand

DanVox Offline
Senior Poster

OfCom To Censor Video On Demand
In case anyone is interested, OfCom have announced plans to "regulate" Video On Demand. The consultation closes on 26 Oct. You have been warned.

More info at OfCom Consultation

Apologies for another boring post.
15-09-2009 00:36
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skully Offline

RE: OfCom To Censor Video On Demand
Not boring at all mate, thanks for the information.

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Tha thu 'nad fhaighean.
15-09-2009 13:10
dragonking Away
Way of the DRAGON

(15-09-2009 13:10 )skully Wrote:  Not boring at all mate, thanks for the information.

again thanks 4 info

WHAT DOES'NT KILL YOU JUST MAKES YOU STRONGER SO C'MON BRING IT ON!!

Funny prank call
15-09-2009 17:35
SirAssAlot Away
Ban All Ass Lickers!!!!

It looks like ofcom's picking up were channel 4 left of. Hmm so much for Big Brother being cancelled.

Why members post content that's not shown to the public is beyond me.
Because of certain posts they’ve now blacked out the cams or moved them out of the way so we can’t see anything. Thanks guys you really know how to screw things up for the rest of us...
Over my 6 years of being a forum member I've never seen anything so stupid...
(This post was last modified: 15-09-2009 18:07 by SirAssAlot.)
15-09-2009 18:06
SashasMan Offline
Senior Poster

made an interesting read that

My glass is always half full it just needs filling up

Sasha s my one true valentine
Denni Tayla's offical onscreen nighttime husband
Chloe Ps Official onscreen husband
Sophies Star
15-09-2009 20:32
dace Offline
Senior Poster

they surely have absolutely no right to do this ?

I am very concerned that the government seem to be backing this - seems we can no wave goodbye to net neutrality
16-09-2009 01:16
rusty legrand Offline
Junior Poster

What is the exact difference between video on demand and anything else on the internet?
16-09-2009 07:49
Mister Gummidge Offline
Professional Strawman

From what I can gather from reading the consultation - and bearing in mind my total lack of training in reading draft consultations for legislatory bodies - it seems to apply to services such as the BBC iplayer, ITV Player, 4OD, Virgin's web player, Tiscali TV, Joost and probably Hulu if it ever gets around to launching in this country as well. Which is to say, it will apply to those companies who are already subject to a broadcasting license from Ofcom, as well as those who wish to offer a "television like" service, such as Tiscali TV, Joost, Hulu etc. While it would impact on videos downloaded or streamed from established TV companies and those wanting a slice of that particular pie, it wouldn't affect web browsing generally.

The ominous phrase is "television like", which isn't anywhere near specific enough for my liking. If some rabid, moralising M.P., goaded by a Mary Whitehouse figure, or a suitably virulent newspaper campaign so chose, they could petition to have any site which carries streamed video to be deemed as "television like".

For my own mind, these proposals are unworkable. How does a provider know with 100% certainty, or even 50% certainty for that matter, that the age verification steps they implement are restricting videos to an age specific group? Some quick arithmetic can see any 12 year old with a semi-functional brain bypass one of those "Please select your birthdate" messages.

While I sort of agree with the gist of the idea^, I'm always nervous about seeing increased power go to a legislative body. I'm a firm believer that bureauracies implement power creep and don't expect that it would remain applied only to those who operate within the mainstream of viewing content.

^ Hypothetically speaking; if I had a 10 year old child, I wouldn't want to log on to the BBC iplayer for them to see the latest episode of Doctor Who, leave the room and come back to find them watching Baise Moi or The Brown Bunny on the BBC's website^^. The same feeling applies to any mainstream broadcaster.

^^ Of course I agree with the notion of parental responsibility, however parents should also have access to media services that are family safe, at least within the current watershed times. Meals need to be cooked, dishes washed and so on. Anyone who thinks a child can be watched 24/7 is quite frankly, a moron, with zero understanding of how real life works.

(16-09-2009 07:49 )rusty legrand Wrote:  What is the exact difference between video on demand and anything else on the internet?

Full explanation of VoD service as an accepted technical term here. As the phrase is currently employed, BBC iplayer is VoD; X*videos is not. The worry for myself and others is that a suitably motivated government could apply the term far more loosely than in the linked wikipedia entry.

"You say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I say that I tailor my jokes to the audience..."
16-09-2009 11:16
DanVox Offline
Senior Poster

(16-09-2009 07:49 )rusty legrand Wrote:  What is the exact difference between video on demand and anything else on the internet?

Given their track record, it's what OfCom wants it to mean, so don't be surprised if it covers any moving pictures available at a click. And they might include downloads. Definitely Channel4 and BBC on demand services, as well as the BT service. Probably any live webstream (Adult Live, SexStation, HotBox). Add in any recorded stuff that can be played onscreen with a single click (http://www.babevideo.co.uk/, Y.o.u.P.o.r.n, R.e.d.T.u.b.e, DailyMotion). Probably not files that have to be downloaded, saved, converted from RAR, before being played (Rapidshare etc), but don't count on it. And they'll get the internet providers to sign up to a "voluntary" scheme where foreign video is blocked unless it comes from a country that has signed up to a control scheme.

Adult verification - it'll mean more than typing in your age. OfCom have slammed satellite channels for websites that use just that. You'll have to provide some form of tracable ID, such as a credit card payment, same as for encrypted satellite channels.

And they'll limit it to times of day when kids aren't around.

Or does anyone think OfCom will just roll over, have it's tummy tickled and let the opportunity pass by ?
17-09-2009 00:07
IanG Offline
Senior Poster

DanVox, I think this issue may now be out of Ofcom's dispicable mits.

The Comms Act was amended via SI in December. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2009/uksi_20092979_en_1
Quote:368E Harmful material
(1) An on-demand programme service must not contain any material likely to incite hatred based on race, sex, religion or nationality.

(2) If an on-demand programme service contains material which might seriously impair the physical, mental or moral development of persons under the age of eighteen, the material must be made available in a manner which secures that such persons will not normally see or hear it.

By Ofcom's own admission in 2004, R18 doesn't pose a risk of causing any serious impairment to under 18s. It thus needs no special 'manner in which to secure it' under clause 368e(2) and, as the law quite clearly says, 'it must be made available' whether it might cause serious impairment or not.

A new dittie: The Buggers 2010 (Ofwatch slight return) http://www.babeshows.co.uk/showthread.ph...#pid556229
22-02-2010 03:48