Thread Rating:
  • 88 Vote(s) - 2.97 Average

Ofcom Broadcast Code Consultation

cosmonaut Offline
Posting Machine

RE: Ofcom Broadcast Code Consultation
(20-11-2009 13:35 )IanG Wrote:  Ofcom (the licensed broadcasting regulator) have no power over the BBC.

If this is true, within the last year alone why did the BBC get fined £400,000 by Ofcom for faking competition winners and deceiving viewers on television programmes, plus £95,000 for running unfair competitions on radio stations, plus 150,000 for broadcasting the prank phone calls to Andrew Sachs made by Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross.
20-11-2009 19:38
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheWatcher Offline
Ex Moderator

(20-11-2009 13:35 )IanG Wrote:  Anyhow, so that this post isn't completely off topic, anyone seen this pile of bile?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...raphy.html

There is no mention of freeview at all in this article, only satelite tv and the internet.
He obviously agrees with a lot of us that Babestation is tame on freeview. Big Grin
20-11-2009 20:07
vila Offline
Viewers' Champion

(20-11-2009 13:35 )IanG Wrote:  vila, the BBC is regulated by the BBC Trust. The BBC don't need an Ofcom license because of the Royal Charter - Ofcom (the licensed broadcasting regulator) have no power over the BBC.

Is that so?

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2008/07/nr_20080730
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/features/brandfine
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/editoria...fcom.shtml
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8352241.stm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jul/30/bbc.ofcom
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/...0309.html/

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture.

(20-11-2009 13:35 )IanG Wrote:  'The Thick Of It' is quite well-known (its in its 2nd or 3rd series) and it takes the piss out of spin doctors like Alistair Campbell (which can only be a good thing in my book).

Didn't 'Mandy' get accused of calling the $un bosses 'c u n t s'...err...I mean 'chumps' when they switched to the Tories?

Can't art imitate life?

Mr Campbell was quite renowned for his fruity language when trying to make psycho Bliar look good, or bully the press into telling the version of the tale New Labour wanted the people to believe.

Apparently, dear Alistair hates 'The Thick Of It' - too close to the truth for his liking I suspect.

I don't care what Mandy and Campbell did or said, the programme I saw had no saving grace - it wasn't in the least bit clever, witty or 'arty' and the language in it had the potential to cause far more offence to a far greater number of people than all the babe channels put together.
(This post was last modified: 22-11-2009 01:57 by vila.)
21-11-2009 06:28
Censorship :-( Away
Sadly, no more caps. :-(

(21-11-2009 06:28 )vila Wrote:  SNIP

I don't care what Mandy and Campbell did or said, the programme I saw had no saving grace - it wasn't in the least bit clever, witty or 'arty' and the language in it had the potential to cause far more offence to a far greater number of people than all the babe channels put together.

In your opinion; as it happens, I quite like "The Thick of IT". However, I don't think pointing out material that you think has the potential to cause greater offence is the way to go about things; Yes, I know you are merely illustrating the double standards of Ofcon, but as this is Ofcon we're talking about, it will only give them ideas eek, and do we really want even more censorship in wider UK broadcasting? It’s bad enough now, IMO!
(This post was last modified: 21-11-2009 12:25 by Censorship :-(.)
21-11-2009 12:23
TheWatcher Offline
Ex Moderator

(21-11-2009 12:23 )Censorship :-( Wrote:  
(21-11-2009 06:28 )vila Wrote:  SNIP

In your opinion; as it happens, I quite like "The Thick of IT". However, I don't think pointing out material that you think has the potential to cause greater offence is the way to go about things; Yes, I know you are merely illustrating the double standards of Ofcon, but as this is Ofcon we're talking about, it will only give them ideas eek, and do we really want even more censorship in wider UK broadcasting? It’s bad enough now, IMO!

I actually saw about 10 minutes of this program while flicking through the channels recently. Never seen it before.
While I was not offended, I was very surprised at the language that was used and would be very surprised if a lot of complaints were not received about it.
21-11-2009 12:43
DanVox Offline
Senior Poster

(20-11-2009 19:38 )cosmonaut Wrote:  
(20-11-2009 13:35 )IanG Wrote:  Ofcom (the licensed broadcasting regulator) have no power over the BBC.

If this is true, within the last year alone why did the BBC get fined £400,000 by Ofcom for faking competition winners and deceiving viewers on television programmes, plus £95,000 for running unfair competitions on radio stations, plus 150,000 for broadcasting the prank phone calls to Andrew Sachs made by Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross.

The creation of Ofcom was a landmark piece of legislation. For the first time ever an external body - Ofcom - was given regulatory power over the BBC. The Governors were downgraded to a Trust. Basically the BBC Director General and Trust get [edit:]first bite at any complaints, and decide how to spend licence money, but Ofcom can rule on content and fine them. Check the Bulletins and you'll find the BBC has been found in breech many times, , often for swearing on live broadcasts from pop concerts.
(This post was last modified: 22-11-2009 23:31 by DanVox.)
21-11-2009 23:48
vila Offline
Viewers' Champion

(21-11-2009 12:23 )Censorship :-( Wrote:  In your opinion;

Yes, of course in my opinion, what else are we discussing here? The crux of Ofcom's case against the babe channels is the alleged potential to offend, which depends entirely on the opinions of the viewers in question.

(21-11-2009 23:48 )DanVox Wrote:  Check the Bulletins and you'll find the BBC has been found in breech many times, , often for swearing on live broadcasts from pop concerts.

Which, being live, is beyond their control, yet in one of their own pre-recorded shows it's apparently ok. Huh

Makes you wonder which planet these Ofcom entities come from, doesn't it?
22-11-2009 02:09
DanVox Offline
Senior Poster

(22-11-2009 02:09 )vila Wrote:  
(21-11-2009 23:48 )DanVox Wrote:  Check the Bulletins and you'll find the BBC has been found in breech many times, , often for swearing on live broadcasts from pop concerts.

Which, being live, is beyond their control

Not beyond their control when they knowingly interview "stars" with a well-known track record. And more than any other other organisation, the BBC has the ability to manage a 30 second time delay.
22-11-2009 23:25
IanG Offline
Senior Poster

(20-11-2009 19:38 )cosmonaut Wrote:  

Hmm! Seems I had a mental aboration! I stand corrected.

vila et al. my apologies for being so wrong.

One thing though folks - that money Ofcom fined the BBC is OURS - its license payers money. Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul...

A new dittie: The Buggers 2010 (Ofwatch slight return) http://www.babeshows.co.uk/showthread.ph...#pid556229
23-11-2009 03:17
DanVox Offline
Senior Poster

In any sane and rational world when a public organisation gets fined - BBC, Network Rail, unsafe Councils - the money gets docked from someone pay or bonus instead of the public loosing out. But I agree, it doesn't happen that way.
23-11-2009 03:59