Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 2.76 Average

BACVA Needs Your Help!

DanVox Offline
Senior Poster

RE: BACVA Needs Your Help!
Ofcom's justification for fining channels is that in many homes parental filters are not set, so children can access adult channels and adults who might be offended might type the wrong channel number.

Of course there is an easy solution, one that Ofcom consistently refuses to apply. Ship Sky boxes with adult channels locked out (and a leaflet explaining how Dad can unlock them in 30 seconds).

By refusing to insist on this Ofcom is CONTRIBUTING to any problems that occur because it has the power to force the issue.

They might argue that many games consoles, phones and computers are shipped withot controls either, and can be used to access strong internet content. Looks as if that might change:
Quote:[BBC]Call for Authomatic Phone Filters
Games consoles and mobiles should be sold with parental filters switched on to limit children's exposure to sexual imagery, a Home Office review says.

The study says that children are increasingly being exposed to material their parents do not know about.

(The report makes other recommendations that are over the top, but my point is about whether boxes are shipped with protection on or off).
26-02-2010 01:03
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DanVox Offline
Senior Poster

It's official.

Sky, Virgin Media, BT Vision, Tiscali, TopUp TV and Freesat have parental controls. Ofcom say so. Ofcom link
27-02-2010 02:05
blackjaques Offline
Senior Poster

Just joined this board after reading Ian G's post on melonfarmers. May I wish you all the best of luck in tackling the abomination of hypocrisy called Ofcom.
28-02-2010 07:40
StanTheMan Offline
Banned

Just a quickie - in case anyone was thinking about sending me any material for BACVA (thanks to all those who have so far) - that I won't be around the internet for a few days. So if I don't respond at least you know why.

Be back by next weekend, though - if not before.
28-02-2010 23:05