Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Internet Control

eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

Internet Control
Not about Ofcom for once, but about controls creeping into online content. Not wildly objectionable at first, until you ask what is the definition of an advert, and could regulation be extended as easily to other areas? The first step in taking control is ften not a clampdown, but establishing legitimacy. From the BBC, here it is:

Quote:New powers to vet online adverts
People who use the internet are about to get a new opportunity to complain about company websites.

From 1 March, consumers are being invited to make official objections about indecent or misleading information on the internet.

They will be able to complain to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which is taking on new powers to regulate commercial websites.

Up to now the ASA has only been able to monitor traditional advertising.

These were generally on billboards, in newspapers or on television.

New powers
From the start of March, the ASA will be able to police any statement on a company's website which could be interpreted as marketing, even if it is not a paid-for advert.

"The principle that ads have to be legal, decent, honest and truthful is now going to extend to companies claims on their own websites," said Matt Wilson, of the ASA.

Earlier this month, for example, the ASA ruled that an Yves St Laurent perfume advert was unfit for broadcast on television.

It showed a woman stroking her own arm, and writhing around on the floor.

The ASA said the advert "simulated drug use", and its use on television was banned.

Under the current rules, however, the company would be entitled to use the same advert on its website, without fear of redress.

In fact the advert still appears on the Yves St Laurent UK website, but with a couple of "offending" shots removed.

Shopping claim
In another ruling this year, the ASA decided that a regional television advert for the Metrocentre on Tyneside breached the advertising code. The Gateshead shopping centre had claimed that it was "the best shopping centre in Britain". The ASA said that claim was based on a three-year-old survey, which was misleading. However a quick look at the Metrocentre's website shows that they are still claiming to be the best in the country.

That is acceptable within the current rules, but should anyone complain after 1 March, the ASA would have to look at it again.

"I think anyone with a website needs to have a fresh look at it, and say 'am I totally happy about that?' " said Ian Twinn of ISBA, the industry body which represents British advertisers.

"Certainly if you have had a claim ruled against you by the ASA, now is a very good time to put that right before 1 March."

Gone fishing
12-02-2011 03:55
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mrmann Offline
Posting Machine

RE: Internet Control
JESUS CHRIST! Is this the kind of stuff that they are really interested in?

Rolleyes
12-02-2011 05:57
RCTV Offline
Military Bitch

sexstation could easily get a wake up call.

RAMOS
...Yes I'm female!
Production Professional with PhD
12-02-2011 11:58
Scottishbloke Away
Banned

(12-02-2011 11:58 )RCTV Wrote:  sexstation could easily get a wake up call.

Yes and if that happened we all know you'd fucking love it being the pro ofcom troll that you are.
13-02-2011 00:25
RCTV Offline
Military Bitch

(13-02-2011 00:25 )Scottishbloke Wrote:  
(12-02-2011 11:58 )RCTV Wrote:  sexstation could easily get a wake up call.

Yes and if that happened we all know you'd fucking love it being the pro ofcom troll that you are.

Not just that, just sexstation have a lot that is crap about them, and may actually bring them up to a standard.

RAMOS
...Yes I'm female!
13-02-2011 00:29
Scottishbloke Away
Banned

I don't get your answer what are you saying, ofcom standard the same way as the TV. Just remember one thing you have us the British to thank for being the only country in Europe not to get invaded by the Germans whilst the rest of you lot crumbled. We fought for democracy and your view's are nothing short of fascist.
(This post was last modified: 13-02-2011 00:45 by Scottishbloke.)
13-02-2011 00:40
RCTV Offline
Military Bitch

(13-02-2011 00:40 )Scottishbloke Wrote:  I don't get your answer what are you saying, ofcom standard the same way as the TV. Just remember one thing you have us the British to thank for being the only country in Europe not to get invaded by the Germans whilst the rest of you lot crumbled. We fought for democracy and your view's are nothing short of fascist.

no, they just need a standard as they really don't have one atm and what they broadcast is garbage

why are my views fascist?

RAMOS
...Yes I'm female!
13-02-2011 00:54
stoly Offline
Banned

(13-02-2011 00:40 )Scottishbloke Wrote:  I don't get your answer what are you saying, ofcom standard the same way as the TV. Just remember one thing you have us the British to thank for being the only country in Europe not to get invaded by the Germans whilst the rest of you lot crumbled. We fought for democracy and your view's are nothing short of fascist.

The way things have turned out, being invaded by the Germans may not have been a bad thing, as long as you weren't Jewish or a poof !
13-02-2011 00:57
Scottishbloke Away
Banned

Or an opponent of the political regime which we all are on this forum so we'd all be rounded up and shot or sent on trains to butlins too.
13-02-2011 01:02
simplymarko Offline
Account Closed

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-maps/wo...urope.html

according to this it was not just Britain but also Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Sweden, the Swiss I understand to have been cowards but unsided. These all remained as neutral countries, however Sweden did become something of a safeland for Jews from other area's of scandanavia
(This post was last modified: 13-02-2011 01:10 by simplymarko.)
13-02-2011 01:06