Click here to watch Studio 66

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A change in status for the chatbox

TheWatcher Offline
Ex Moderator

RE: Death to the Chatbox Clique
(25-04-2011 19:05 )admin Wrote:  
(25-04-2011 19:01 )simplymarko Wrote:  Although I do understand what you mean admin, I cannot see it is practical for chatbox users/Chat Mods to PM forum members with the same name should dubious behavior arise asking 'was it you?'

I wasn't suggesting that it be done only if dubious behaviour arises. It could be done at anytime.

Not always, some members annoyingly have their PMs turned off in their UserCP. Smile
25-04-2011 19:27
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
iloveMegan Offline
And Rebecca Jade

(25-04-2011 11:58 )Deb x Wrote:  I would be interested to know if you, as a chatbox mod, have the ability to quickly cross-reference the forum and chatbox IPs; I’d think that would be essential under this new system.

I agree with this, but as far as I'm aware we don't have that ability. All we can really do is PM one of the forum mods to check the IP address of any users we're suspicious of, and check that way.

(25-04-2011 11:58 )Deb x Wrote:  Thanks for explaining about tsurugi - not my place to comment on that ban, but there’s probably some room for clarification of the chatroom rules which do state “the chatbox follows the same rules as the UK Babe Channels forum” because the way you’ve explained it people can do what they like on the forum and still use the chatbox.

tsurugi himself has since posted he doesn't know why he was banned, but assuming it was for the post he suspects it was, I wouldn't have banned him from the Chat for it (not that I could, with him being a fellow mod, but you take my point). The rules of both the forum and the Chatbox are open to interpretation, and there could also be mods with their own agenda.

(25-04-2011 19:05 )admin Wrote:  
(25-04-2011 19:01 )simplymarko Wrote:  I cannot see it is practical for chatbox users/Chat Mods to PM forum members with the same name should dubious behavior arise asking 'was it you?'

I wasn't suggesting that it be done only if dubious behaviour arises. It could be done at anytime.

The problem with that method is that asking someone "Was it you?" after the fact means they can deny it was them. The alternative is to PM every new member to ask their forum name, but if someone signed up to the Chat simply to cause trouble, they're unlikely to say.

"You are rude" - Michelle Thorne
"haha ilM you sick bastard" - Rev Tsu

This is the internet! How else can I communicate with you other than from behind my computer screen?
25-04-2011 19:27
admin. Offline
Administrator

(25-04-2011 19:27 )iloveMegan Wrote:  The alternative is to PM every new member to ask their forum name, but if someone signed up to the Chat simply to cause trouble, they're unlikely to say.

Now I'm confused. I thought the query concerned chat members who had already given or were using a forum name? I thought the point under discussion was how to verify that a forum name given was correct?
25-04-2011 20:28
iloveMegan Offline
And Rebecca Jade

(25-04-2011 20:28 )admin Wrote:  
(25-04-2011 19:27 )iloveMegan Wrote:  The alternative is to PM every new member to ask their forum name, but if someone signed up to the Chat simply to cause trouble, they're unlikely to say.

Now I'm confused. I thought the query concerned chat members who had already given or were using a forum name? I thought the point under discussion was how to verify that a forum name given was correct?

The thing is, finding out whether or not someone is using the same name for the Chat and the forum only becomes an issue after they have broken the rules of the Chat. To then check their posting history on the forum to see if they have previous, then PM them to confirm they have used the same name for both sites (which they could deny once they know they're in trouble) just seems like a lot of red tape and hassle. As has been mentioned, being able to cross check their IP with the list of forum members would be a much easier way of doing it.

"You are rude" - Michelle Thorne
"haha ilM you sick bastard" - Rev Tsu

This is the internet! How else can I communicate with you other than from behind my computer screen?
25-04-2011 20:48
TheWatcher Offline
Ex Moderator

RE: A change in status for the chatbox
Would it be possible for a list of registered chat members to be accessible from this forum.
It would be a simple matter then for any forum member to check if they were being impersonated.
26-04-2011 11:10
tsurugi Offline
Banned

(26-04-2011 11:10 )TheWatcher Wrote:  Would it be possible for a list of registered chat members to be accessible from this forum.
It would be a simple matter then for any forum member to check if they were being impersonated.

All you have to do is click on the "chatbox" icon and you can access the members list without having to register as a member.
26-04-2011 13:59
TheWatcher Offline
Ex Moderator

(26-04-2011 13:59 )tsurugi Wrote:  
(26-04-2011 11:10 )TheWatcher Wrote:  Would it be possible for a list of registered chat members to be accessible from this forum.

All you have to do is click on the "chatbox" icon and you can access the members list without having to register as a member.

I just did that. I've got an impersonator already. Its not me. Smile

[Image: 2011_04_26_191323_610x595_scrot.png]
26-04-2011 19:17

Click here to watch Studio 66