gemma hiles

GEMMA HILES free subscription click here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Forum double posts

admin. Offline
Administrator

Forum double posts
An issue was raised in the "Slow Board & "MyBB SQL Errors" thread of double posting in the forum. The issue was raised in that thread because it was being linked to the general performance of the site. This was incorrect as it's actually an issue with Internet Explorer. The 4 members who have reported this issue - vila, mr mystery, whizzer and rickhardo - are all using that browser (probably IE9, although vila said IE8).

It was stated in the "Slow Board & "MyBB SQL Errors" thread by vila that the problem only occurs on this site and is therefore specific to the forum. This is incorrect. Many other forums have experienced the same problem and not just forums running the same software that we do. The same problem has also been reported as occurring on facebook and twitter. Most explanations of this issue say that IE9 is the culprit, but vila said he had the problem with IE8 and I also know of a couple of other people who said that they have the problem with IE8.

It's suggested by some that the issue can be resolved by adding any sites where you have this problem to IE's compatibility mode. I have not tried this myself as I rarely use IE when visiting the forum, so I can't verify that this fix works here, but that's the only solution for this issue that I'm come across so far.
12-06-2011 11:11
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MeTarzan Offline
Holly McGuire lives in my Tree

RE: Forum double posts
There are definitely issues of IE8 "loading-up" on sites like this.

The problem is progressive with the result that browsing gets slower and slower as memory usage increases.

I now use Chrome for general browsing and only run IE8 to check compatibility issues for my work (website design).

I'm not sure about IE9, although early reports are not promising.

Firefox is also a reasonable alternative to Chrome, although with all un-necessary extensions and hardware acceleration disabled.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.
...Homer J. Simpson
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2011 11:19 by MeTarzan.)
12-06-2011 11:18
whizzer Offline
Senior Poster

(12-06-2011 11:11 )admin Wrote:  It's suggested by some that the issue can be resolved by adding any sites where you have this problem to IE's compatibility mode.

I hadn't heard of this option before, but I found it on the IE toolbar under the Tools tab.
12-06-2011 12:45
HEX!T Away
Retired

a couple of the lads double post in chat. it mostly happens when they are capping vids. now if it happens in chat i cant see any reason why it wouldn't happen on the forums 2

Any Babe pics posted are my Take on existing photographs. credits for the original images stays with the copyright holder if any rights apply.

Today im wearing a gray hat. tomorrow it might be white or black, it depends on my mood
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2011 13:15 by HEX!T.)
12-06-2011 13:15
aceman65 Offline
Cappers Union

I've reported several double posts over the past few weeks, using the report button. I've always been under the impression that it was caused mostly by people submitting posts from phones.

As I've received several double Pm's as well, and when I discussed this problem with Skateguy & Steve, they said it was due to them and other members using mobile phones to post.

I've only experienced this once myself, and it was when I received an error whilst posting. So I went back a page and submitted it again, without realising the first attempt had still registered.

I have never used IE to post on this forum, as I just think it's to glitchy. So I can't seeing this problem being exclusively down to IE.
12-06-2011 17:41
chrislatimer Offline
Banned

but we can delete our own posts now so this really should not be a major issue
12-06-2011 18:19
Sm© Away
すべてが言われて終わった後

(12-06-2011 18:19 )chrislatimer Wrote:  but we can delete our own posts now so this really should not be a major issue

Because people dont notice they have posted twice.
Also, trolls dont give a Fuck what they post, think they would delete a double one....?
12-06-2011 18:26
chrislatimer Offline
Banned

i always delete double posts if i make em me.

and as for people not noticing how stupid can you be no offence of course but seriously its not hard to notice your post is their twice
12-06-2011 18:29
Sm© Away
すべてが言われて終わった後

(12-06-2011 18:29 )chrislatimer Wrote:  i always delete double posts if i make em me.

and as for people not noticing how stupid can you be no offence of course but seriously its not hard to notice your post is their twice

Sometimes the double post is on a new page, so you would only know you had done it if you checked out the previous page.
12-06-2011 18:34
Jam Da Man Offline

I just tried to intentionally double post. I got this message when posting the second one -

[Image: image-F2A3_4DF50046.jpg]

Using Google Chrome though, rather than IE8.

"The road to Good Intentions be paved with Hell"

12-06-2011 19:09

GEMMA HILES free subscription click here

gemma hiles