Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Playboy Fine

shylok Offline
Senior Poster

Playboy Fine
Hi Guys

Can anyone throw any light on this little lot! Was this expected and what impact will it have etc?

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binarie...y-sanction

TIA

shylok

Join OFCOM today we offer decent salaries + a company bonus scheme (based on how much pain you can inflict on the British public) - http://www.ofcom.org.uk/files/2011/05/sa...e-2011.pdf
09-11-2011 17:40
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SCIROCCO Offline
Banned

RE: 110k Playboy Fine!!!
The fine is way out of proportion to the level of offence (if any caused), expect channels 121-122 being hit with £5m for showing Sexcetera almost every night of the week, which is produced by Playboy.....or not a chance in hell as it isn't in the 900s...this could seriously impact the output across the whole adult channel spread. This will be the only time I say things were better under Nu Labor....
09-11-2011 18:26
Scottishbloke Away
Banned

Just when you think this is too good to be true, no channel complaints or investigations for a while up pop Ofcom and absolutely hammer RLC, read the article, it's fucking unbelievable how this fine can be justified, the way the channels are regulated these days is disgraceful, I fear for RLC now that Ofcom have got it in for them, I only hope we are not seeing history repeating itself again and this channel going the same way as Bangbabes did, enough is enough if the babe channels are not willing to get together to take Ofcom on 2012 is going to be a very grim year with the full extinction of each and every channel, Ofcom state that the majority of people are offended by the channels, well excuse me a minute but who the fuck put a gun to their head and forced them to watch, nobody, these cretins are professional complainers who rejoice in other peoples misery, this is a very dark day and further evidence of the absolute destruction of the babe channels courtesy of Ofcom annoyedannoyedannoyedannoyedannoyed
09-11-2011 18:33
shylok Offline
Senior Poster

RE: 110k Playboy Fine
This must beg the question why Playboy etc (who I understand have foreign licences at their disposal) don't get 'more inventive'. I still don't know why channels don't take more advantage of the 'lighter touch' regulation in some countries like Holland.

Join OFCOM today we offer decent salaries + a company bonus scheme (based on how much pain you can inflict on the British public) - http://www.ofcom.org.uk/files/2011/05/sa...e-2011.pdf
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2011 18:37 by shylok.)
09-11-2011 18:36
StanTheMan Offline
Banned

(09-11-2011 18:33 )Scottishbloke Wrote:  Ofcom state that the majority of people are offended by the channels, well excuse me a minute but who the fuck put a gun to their head and forced them to watch...

That's pretty much it, isn't it? I give in. Ofcom win.
09-11-2011 18:37
StanTheMan Offline
Banned

(09-11-2011 18:36 )shylok Wrote:  This must beg the question why Playboy etc (who I understand have foreign licences at their disposal) don't get 'more inventive'. I still don't know why channels don't take more advantage of the 'lighter touch' regulation in some countries like Holland.

I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting, shylok, but if it's what I think, then it's been explained countless times that so long as you're broadcasting on UK tv, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference where your license is held, you still have to adhere to Ofcom reg.

Moderator Notice : Further to this post, subsequent discussion of licencing as well as Ofcom and regulations in general terms have been moved to the main Ofcom thread, here.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2011 18:40 by StanTheMan.)
09-11-2011 18:39
Rammyrascal Offline
Team Thicc

even though i dont like what ofcom are doing with the babechannels (not as vocal as others here, but still dont like none the less) and have signed the petition. I think ofcom is copping too much flack here in this thread. RLC has to take an equal share of the flack as well. Ofcom has said that it was repeated violations by playboy and the owners of the channels rlc is shown on that and that compliance procedures in place at rlc were insufficient. if you keep breaking and not following the rules (no matter how ridiculous they are) then ofcom will punish you, as shown with bangbabes.

also elitetv has to follow the same rules as rlc yet when it gets investigated at the moment it gets either a slap on the wrist or the complaint against it is thrown out, so it is possible to conform to the rules in such a way that little or no punishment is given. hopefully now rlc and the company that ownes rlc's channels use this as a wakeup call to conform to the rules.

hopefully things will change with the rules the babechannels have to run under, in the meantime the rules have to be obeyed until that happens. in rlc's case perhaps getting foreign licences could help it

Piper Niven Superfan
09-11-2011 19:29
MARCCE Offline
Senior Poster

(09-11-2011 19:29 )Rammyrascal Wrote:  even though i dont like what ofcom are doing with the babechannels (not as vocal as others here, but still dont like none the less) and have signed the petition. I think ofcom is copping too much flack here in this thread. RLC has to take an equal share of the flack as well. Ofcom has said that it was repeated violations by playboy and the owners of the channels rlc is shown on that and that compliance procedures in place at rlc were insufficient. if you keep breaking and not following the rules (no matter how ridiculous they are) then ofcom will punish you, as shown with bangbabes.

also elitetv has to follow the same rules as rlc yet when it gets investigated at the moment it gets either a slap on the wrist or the complaint against it is thrown out, so it is possible to conform to the rules in such a way that little or no punishment is given. hopefully now rlc and the company that ownes rlc's channels use this as a wakeup call to conform to the rules.

hopefully things will change with the rules the babechannels have to run under, in the meantime the rules have to be obeyed until that happens. in rlc's case perhaps getting foreign licences could help it

Have to say that whenever I watch RLC it's dull as ditchwater anyway so lord knows when these breaches happened.

Yes, no doubt RLC will now conform to the rules and they'll take their place amongst the multitude of weak as piss channels already there.

Whether RLC have conformed with the rules or not isn't the issue here. The issue is that the things they've been pulled up for are an absolute joke given that it's an adult listed channel.

The rules aren't going to change. The big clue is in the repeated statement that channels broadcasting as advertisement channels have "less latitude" than channels broadcasting editorial content.

To be fair to the channels, they did fight to not be classed as advertising channels at the time. Once they failed in that though, the days and nights of the channels taking risks and pushing the boundaries were pretty much over.

Ofcom have got them pretty much where they want them right now and if a few big fines see off a few more channels, all the better in Ofcom's eyes.
09-11-2011 19:40
Rammyrascal Offline
Team Thicc

no they are listed as adult channels on sky epg and think the same is the case on freeview but interms of the regulations they arent classed as adult channels and are instead classed as advertisement/teleshopping channels and have to conform to the rules on that

yes the rules that the babeshows operate under are a joke, but rules are rules and until they change the channels have to obey tham and rlc havent obeyed them and have been punished.

Piper Niven Superfan
09-11-2011 19:51
Scottishbloke Away
Banned

So what does this all mean for the long term future of the babe channels, this is what I see, the last of the great babe channel legends being replaced with deadwood safety first models and over cautious producer's which we've allready seen happen at Elite during the course of the year, this is a shite state of affairs and will in time drive the fans and callers of these shows away as very few, only the hardcore will follow them till the bitter end, Ofcom have won, the babe channels days are now officially numbered, rightly or wrongly if RLC did break the rules, Ofcom cannot realistically expect those channels to operate under such current draconian rules, so where does this widespread harm and offence come from, which survey was this that was conducted between 2005 and 2009 because I certainly wasn't surveyed, this survey they champion is biased and does not reflect public opinion and is blatant propaganda as it is probably in actual fact a lie concieved by them. Today is a very sad day for not just RLC but the whole spectrum of the babe channels.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2011 20:05 by Scottishbloke.)
09-11-2011 20:04