Thread Rating:
  • 48 Vote(s) - 3.15 Average

Ofcom standards case: LivexxxBabes, June 2008

admin. Offline
Administrator

Ofcom standards case: LivexxxBabes, June 2008
LivexxxBabes, 8 June 2008, 21:00–03:00

Introduction

LivexxxBabes is free-to-air unencrypted programming in the adult section of the Sky electronic programme guide (“EPG”). The channel broadcasts programmes based on interactive ‘adult’ chat services: viewers are invited to contact on-screen presenters (“babes”) via premium rate telephony services (“PRS”). The female presenters dress and behave provocatively.

Ofcom received a complaint alleging that the broadcast amounted to ‘adult-sex’ material within the meaning of Code Rule 1.24 and therefore should have been transmitted in line with that rule’s requirements, including encryption. In particular, after 22:00 there was constant nudity and a voiceover periodically referred to “mutual tommy-tanking”.

Ofcom viewed the material. It noted that between 21:00 and 22.00 the presenters were dressed in a relatively modest way. After 22:00 however the presenters bared their breasts and for the rest of the broadcast performed in an overtly sexual manner, including thrusting their backsides to camera so that on occasion their anal area was showing.

Ofcom sought comments from the Licensee in respect of Rules 2.1 (generally accepted standards must be applied) and 2.3 (offensive material must be justified by context) of the Code.

Response

The broadcaster replied through the Participation Television Broadcasters Association (“PTVBA” or “the Association”). The PTVBA is a not-for-profit trade association that represents a number of licensees from various participation TV sectors, including ‘adult’ chat TV channels like LivexxxBabes.

The Association said that it did not believe that the content on LivexxxBabes posed any risk of harm and offence. It pointed out that LivexxxBabes is situated within the ‘adult’ section of the EPG and stated that the broadcaster observes the Association’s guidance on graduation of content, “namely that presenters should not remove their tops until after 9.30pm, when partial nudity (i.e. topless females) is more widely accessible on satellite television, including in the general entertainment section.” The Association did not believe that there was any question of a Code breach and, further, that if Ofcom recorded a breach it would represent a significant move away from Ofcom’s current policy and enforcement activity that would necessitate unequivocal notification to stakeholders.

In respect of the presenters’ anuses being apparent, the Association said that it did not believe that one shot could reasonably be considered as amounting to a contravention of the Code.

The PTVBA referred to a number of other matters they considered to be mitigating factors:

the complaint, it understood, was not made by a member of the public;
the PTVBA seeks to co-operate with regulators, among others, to ensure compliance with rules and offer safe viewing. The PTVBA said that it had produced a film to be played on all members’ channels demonstrating how to impose parental controls on the entire adult section of the EPG; and
members of the PTVBA have put in place internal procedures to ensure compliance with its principles, including complaint handling and staff training.

Decision

It is a requirement of the Code that content which is considered to be ‘adult-sex’ material must be PIN protected and encrypted (Rule 1.24). In this case, Ofcom did not consider the content complained of to be ‘adult-sex’ material. This decision was reached taking all the relevant circumstances into account, including the sexual explicitness and nature of the images (including such factors as their length and editing) and language, the purpose of broadcasting this material and the overall context in which it was broadcast. In particular, although clearly material of a sexual nature, the programming did not include simulated or real genital stimulation and contact between presenters was avoided.

However, in this case the presenters were wearing thongs and while they thrust their bottoms towards the camera there were a few, brief occasions when their anal areas were shown in intrusive detail. The location of the channel in the ‘adult’ section of the EPG and late transmission were not sufficient to justify these aspects of the content. This, in Ofcom’s opinion, was so revealing as to be offensive and in breach of generally accepted standards on a free-to-air channel in the adult section of the EPG.

The broadcaster, and all others operating in the free-to-air ‘adult’ chat sector, should take great care with physically invasive shots, particularly of the crotch and backside, and where strong visual emphasis is placed on breasts and bottoms, for example by prolonged or extreme close-up, in order to remain compliant with the Code.

Breach of Rules 2.1 and 2.3
05-10-2008 08:51
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TITSRUS Offline
Gone

RE: Ofcom standards case: LivexxxBabes, June 2008
LiveXXX etc is cool It's the Babestation 3g shows that need to be looked at by Ofcom! Babestation constantly rip people of Plus they make callers beg for something they shouldn't need to! After all if it was for us callers they wouldn’t have a job...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plz don't post my Threads/Topics on other forums with out asking me.

If I do see my Threads/Topics on other forums with my knowledge I will Remove the original.
05-10-2008 12:43
dondoe returns Offline
Posting Machine

Ass2Cam Wrote:LiveXXX etc is cool It's the Babestation 3g shows that need to be looked at by Ofcom! Babestation constantly rip people of Plus they make callers beg for something they shouldn't need to! After all if it was for us callers they wouldn’t have a job...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plz don't post my Threads/Topics on other forums with out asking me.

If I do see my Threads/Topics on other forums with my knowledge I will Remove the original.

Agreed...but I have a feeling that these complaints aren't coming from the punters,but rival channels
05-10-2008 16:44
biker200 Offline
Master Poster

Never thought of it that way dondoe.It seems to me then if you want to watch these channels then apply to ofcom for a job.

What did i miss?
05-10-2008 16:57
biker200 Offline
Master Poster

sorry meant to say we sould all vote for any party that wants to save money by abolishing ofcom

What did i miss?
05-10-2008 17:02
BelfastBadBoy Away
Posting Machine

Crazy that people are complaining about these channels yet simulated sex is on from 9pm on the BBC and Channel 4 infact there body parts being shown from 8-9pm on that Embarrasing Illness's show lol
05-10-2008 18:41
dondoe returns Offline
Posting Machine

Yes you can now see more explict things on the main channels...and the argument thats it's to protect the callers from priemum rate lines is mute as many of the terreistial channels have done quiz shows where the punters have little or no chance of winning....
05-10-2008 19:01
Colbert Rules Offline
Pray For Trump

mutual tommy-tanking...wtf, I saw women with their breasts out on Richard & Judy a few months 5pm at night. WHERE WAS OFCOM THEN?

"If loving Leila was a crime, Colbert would be on Death Row."
06-10-2008 02:18
southlondonphil Offline
Master Poster

dondoe Wrote:I have a feeling that these complaints aren't coming from the punters,but rival channels

Yes I think that is exactly what is implied in the above report.
09-10-2008 08:49
Headlessman Offline
Master Poster

It makes me wonder how the shows got away with doing and showing what they did back in 2006 and earlier.Back then they could show girls masturbating and more but now they are being told off for showing a brief glimpse of the girls anus! And whats that shit in the last paragraph supposed to mean, it says that they can't have close ups of the girls breasts and ass for a prolonged time.Why the fuck not!! That doesn't make sense.
The rules they seem to be coming up with sound so stupid and uneccessary!!!
(This post was last modified: 14-10-2008 03:39 by Headlessman.)
14-10-2008 03:38