Click here to watch Babestation TV

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

The London strip pub scene

elgar1uk Offline
Posting Machine

RE: The London strip pub scene
RIP the White Horse 1978 - 2016.

At least the Flying Scotsman has survived as a pub, even if dramatically different to the kind of pub it used to be.
28-06-2017 14:54
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lovebabes56 Offline
The No.1 Teddy Bear!!

how many Strip pubs are left in London exactly?

FERRARI & LOVEBABES, - BABE CHANNELS ULTIMATE COUPLE!!
CURRENT BS BABE FAVES :- MIGHTY MIKAELA WITT, DUCHESS DARELLE OLIVER, SULTRY STORMI MACK,
ALL - TIME BABE FAVES:- FERNANDA FERARRI , MELLIE D AND MIKAELA WITT PHOENIX KNIGHT[ DENNI TAYLA, SEXY STEVIE LOUISE
'ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE" - LIFE OF BRIAN
28-06-2017 19:34
marlowe Offline
Posting Machine

(26-06-2017 14:42 )harry corrado Wrote:  I remember the 'Shakespeare Drank Here" sign from the first time I visited

I always thought that was tongue in cheek, as the building was a warehouse before it became a pub in 1978. Could there possibly have been a pub there in Shakespeare's time? However, the Curtain Theatre where Shakespeare worked for many years was situated just over the road from where the White Horse was in Shoreditch High St, so I'm sure that Shakespeare did drink somewhere in that vicinity, even if not at that specific address.
29-06-2017 13:51
Kevin555 Offline
Posting Machine

Hi,
Last night I was talking about the old pubs in the East End side of the City and a friend mentioned two that were exceptional but did not last.
The first one was a bar at the back of City Road in the 1980s, this was the height of the aerobic boom and the girls were in leotards and lycra. Service was great and the prices just a bit above pub prices.
The second was again in the 1980s and was in the basement of a former warehouse of off City Road, this was open for a few months and was in effect an unlicensed pub with strippers. This pub’s main feature was the girls, in the days before the Eastern European girls the person running it had Irish girls plus a large number of students. Every Friday was a stag night till it was closed. We all were wondering what happened to the guy who ran it and if he was still connected with this side of the business
30-06-2017 14:55
elgar1uk Offline
Posting Machine

(28-06-2017 19:34 )babelover48 Wrote:  how many Strip pubs are left in London exactly?

I would say that over the years there must have been 300 pubs in London that could be classed as strip pubs. Nowadays even being optimistic I would be surprised if there were as many as 20.
30-06-2017 16:00
xJ4Kx Offline
Posting Machine

Could do with a few of these strip pubs up in Yorkshire!
30-06-2017 21:36
george lusk Offline
Senior Poster

(29-06-2017 13:51 )marlowe Wrote:  I always thought that was tongue in cheek, as the building was a warehouse before it became a pub in 1978. Could there possibly have been a pub there in Shakespeare's time?

There was an inn there and Shakespeare was said to frequent it. So the 'Shakespeare Drank Here' sign was meant seriously.
18-07-2017 01:04
trevor format Offline
Master Poster

(30-06-2017 16:00 )elgar1uk Wrote:  I would be surprised if there were as many as 20.

You won't be surprised then, I'm sad to say. In central London there are now only 6 or 7 strip pubs, depending on whether you still count the Metropolis as a pub. If you regard London as meaning the whole of Greater London it still only makes the total 10 at the most.
27-07-2017 15:31
Dan Volatile Offline
1956 Jubilee Butterfly

(27-07-2017 15:31 )trevor format Wrote:  
(30-06-2017 16:00 )elgar1uk Wrote:  I would be surprised if there were as many as 20.

You won't be surprised then, I'm sad to say. In central London there are now only 6 or 7 strip pubs, depending on whether you still count the Metropolis as a pub. If you regard London as meaning the whole of Greater London it still only makes the total 10 at the most.

That is amazing. When I lived on the Hackney Road in the eighties there were at least five on that road alone or just off it. The ones I remember are Martins/Metropolis, Limes (or Slimes as we waggishly knew it), The Axe, Browns (never went in it) and Solly's - some right dodgy geezers in that last one.
My favourite pub was The Marksman - no exotic dancers but they sold a lovely drop of Adnams bitter.

28-07-2017 02:18
Kevin555 Offline
Posting Machine

Dan Volatile Wrote:  That is amazing. When I lived on the Hackney Road in the eighties there were at least five on that road alone or just off it. The ones I remember are Martins/Metropolis, Limes (or Slimes as we waggishly knew it), The Axe, Browns (never went in it) and Solly's - some right dodgy geezers in that last one.

In that area there was also The Spiral Staircase, Big Ron who ran The Black Lapdancers events used to take it over twice a month, anyone remember Housewife Sue, Tanya and her hubby Malcolm and only for a short while an amazing German girl from Nuremburg called Olga
Those were happy days
Back to Solly's One of the regulars was called Peter in the 90s he inherited his mothers apartment near Camberwell and turned it into a photographic studio for a couple of years.
Peter sadly died around 2006 he would have been at least 86 , I saw him about a month before he went and he was still able to come up to the West End on his own. Really a great person and sadly missed
28-07-2017 09:19

Click here to watch Babestation TV