Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 3.37 Average

Invisible users?

vostok 1 Offline
Twitter Troll

Invisible users?
To some, invisibility is simply an issue of science: The refractive index is changed to exactly that of air and the body does not absorb or reflect light, then they will be invisible.

However invisibility in the context of this forum has deep philosophical meaning.
Classical Greek philosopher Plato explored this meaning in "The Ring of Gyges", the story of the ring, The story discusses whether a typical person would be moral if they did not have to fear the consequences of their actions.

"Then the actions of the just would be as the actions of the unjust; they would both come at last to the same point. And this we may truly affirm to be a great proof that a man is just, not willingly or because he thinks that justice is any good to him individually, but of necessity, for wherever any one thinks that he can safely be unjust, there he is unjust. For all men believe in their hearts that injustice is far more profitable to the individual than justice, and he who argues as I have been supposing, will say that they are right. If you could imagine any one obtaining this power of becoming invisible, and never doing any wrong or touching what was another's, he would be thought by the lookers-on to be a most wretched idiot, although they would praise him to one another's faces, and keep up appearances with one another from a fear that they too might suffer injustice."

However, in the dialogue Socrates goes on to explain that justice would not be defined by just this social construct; the man who abused the power of the Ring of Gyges has become morally bankrupt and suffered irreparable failings of character, while a man that chose willingly not to use it is at least at peace with himself.

This is why you were quite correct in not exposing the invisible.
As the old Latin saying goes: "Quis custōdiet ipsōs custōdēs?": "Who watches the Watcher".
25-05-2009 19:54
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigChuck Offline
"computeramabob.....simples"

RE: Invisible users?
i was trying to put into words a response to the above post, the only thing i can come up with is

WTF?

I molested myself last night, i tried to say no, but i knew i wanted it.

like a ninja....
25-05-2009 20:02
vostok 1 Offline
Twitter Troll

BigChuck Wrote:i was trying to put into words a response to the above post, the only thing i can come up with is

WTF?

Indeed!

However, the above post was a response to a post that has now become "invisible", so expect a mod to come along and make the whole thread "invisible"!
25-05-2009 20:06
TheWatcher Offline
Ex Moderator

vostok 1 Wrote:However, the above post was a response to a post that has now become "invisible", so expect a mod to come along and make the whole thread "invisible"!
I received an answer to my original question about invisible users and requested my thread be deleted. Presumably this was done while you were composing your long reply.
You are now the author of this thread.
If you want it deleted, just report it.
25-05-2009 20:26