Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average

Cap Posting : Thumbnail v's Fullsize | Excessive Quantity

aceman65 Offline
Cappers Union

Cap Posting : Thumbnail v's Fullsize | Excessive Quantity
Well I know I'm probably going to stir up a hornets nest with this one.

But I have noticed an explosion of full size images being posted as of late. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing most of them, but it is seriously slowing the load times down.

Any chance, that the rules for the site could be changed, to cover this, by restricting each post to say two full size images, and the rest as thumbnails.

Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2010 16:33 by aceman65.)
04-05-2010 16:18
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shady Offline
Back from self-exile

RE: Thumbnail v's Fullsize
If it helps the site's performance, then it certainly makes a lot of sense.

As a rule I only post thumbs to my images anyway, but I have seen some enormous images posted from time to time. There is also a nasty habit of respondees to a post replying with the original poster's images included again, so that definitely has an impact on thread loading time.

I guess it depends how admin feels the site is coping, or can continue to cope with more images being posted. However, threads like 'Slip of the Day' tend to work better with the image embedded, as opposed to a thumbnail link. I imagine there would be some resistance there and in other similar threads.

Thank you very much for my nomination in
Best Cap or Cap Set Of The Year 2013
for Dannii Harwood Posts 781 & 782

Tammy Oldham: You're fucking filthy!
Shady: You can talk!

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2010 18:25 by Shady.)
04-05-2010 17:42
TheWatcher Offline
Ex Moderator

I use a max of 2, usually 1, full size pics (ie pics above 700 pixels wide) in my posts. Any further ones are included as thumbnails.
I always remove duplicate pics if posted on the same page if I see them. If its just a single pic from a previous page I usually leave it alone.
The biggest problem for me is using the moderator option to split threads which contain a large number of pics. It takes ages since the whole thread has to be loaded, not just one page. This is the only method to move posts from 1 thread to a more appropriate one, or remove them.
04-05-2010 18:27
aceman65 Offline
Cappers Union

Thanks Shady for your comments.

I don't have a problem with threads like slip of the day, They usually only consist of 1 or 2 caps per post anyway.

It's people who post 10 or 20 caps, all full size, I don't agree with, It's just a bit OTT, and not necessary.

I know you can set the number of posts viewed per page down in your settings, which may help alleviate the problem, but be honest, how many people even know that option exists.
04-05-2010 18:32
Shady Offline
Back from self-exile

(04-05-2010 18:32 )aceman65 Wrote:  I don't have a problem with threads like slip of the day, They usually only consist of 1 or 2 caps per post anyway.

Agreed aceman65!

(04-05-2010 18:32 )aceman65 Wrote:  It's people who post 10 or 20 caps, all full size, I don't agree with, It's just a bit OTT, and not necessary.

AND those which are side by side, forcing the users to scroll from left to right outside normal page widths bladewave

(04-05-2010 18:32 )aceman65 Wrote:  I know you can set the number of posts viewed per page down in your settings, which may help alleviate the problem, but be honest, how many people even know that option exists.

Plus, I prefer the convcenience of reading as many posts on one page as possible. Can you imagine the Danica threads and how many pages there would be if we limited the number of posts? Surprised

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2010 18:49 by Shady.)
04-05-2010 18:46
Shady Offline
Back from self-exile

(04-05-2010 18:27 )TheWatcher Wrote:  I use a max of 2, usually 1, full size pics (ie pics above 700 pixels wide) in my posts. Any further ones are included as thumbnails.
I always remove duplicate pics if posted on the same page if I see them. If its just a single pic from a previous page I usually leave it alone.
The biggest problem for me is using the moderator option to split threads which contain a large number of pics. It takes ages since the whole thread has to be loaded, not just one page. This is the only method to move posts from 1 thread to a more appropriate one, or remove them.

I understand that last point you made Watcher and what a pain in the ass it must be. And yes, we should acknowledge how quickly the mods delete duplicates, though it would be handy not having to eh? Wink

Cheers.

04-05-2010 18:52
alexxxi Away
G.O.N.E

in this case.... size DOES matter Big Grin
04-05-2010 18:52
Shady Offline
Back from self-exile

(04-05-2010 18:52 )alexxxi Wrote:  in this case.... size DOES matter Big Grin

Oi! Who you been talking to??? bladewave

Big Laugh

04-05-2010 18:55
Rise Offline
L' énigme, elle est très belle

I'd be careful about setting arbitrary limits. Usually I like to throw in 2 large images among a set of thumbnails, mainly so that newbies realise that these tiny pictures actually do get bigger if you click on them Smile but also it's fun picking out the choice caps. Sometimes I'll post 3 big pictures.
If there's a sequence of caps I think are especially noteworthy and likely to be of enhanced interest to fans of the girl in question, I think it can be justified to post even more than that... but this comes down to discretion of course.

I completely disagree with the idea it should be limited to slips as everyone is looking for something different on here
...e.g. we're not all straining at the leash to see a daygirl accidentally release a nipple.

Most of the regular cappers have their own styles anyway, which are largely forum friendly.

However, someone repeatedly posting long sequences of large caps just to elongate their post or because they can't be bothered making thumbnails probably needs a 'severe talking to' by the caretaker of the Overlook hotel. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2010 15:58 by Rise.)
05-05-2010 15:54
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceman65 Offline
Cappers Union

Well, Blue or myself usually make a polite request if we see anyone doing it excessively. But of course they don't have to abide with that request.

Some do, some don't. But there's not much more we can do about it.

I agree with you rise, I have no objections about having 2 or 3 large caps within a sequence. After-all I do it myself from time to time.
05-05-2010 21:18