Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Sky - Newscorp Takeover

eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

Sky - Newscorp Takeover
This doesnt seem to fit any other threads, so it gets it own:

BSkyB News Corp bid: Ofcom calls for Competition review[Image: _50787267_rupertmurdoch.jpg]
Quote:BBC News: The UK media watchdog Ofcom has said that News Corporation's takeover bid for broadcaster BSkyB should be referred back to the Competition Commission, the BBC has learned.

Our business editor Robert Peston says it wants an inquiry into whether the £7.5bn deal would restrict choice for British viewers and readers.

Ofcom's report was issued to the Department for Culture Media and Sport on the last day of 2010.

It has not been formally published.

Ofcom said it would not be commenting on the report, as it remained confidential.

A spokesman for the culture department said it would not comment on "speculation".

The Business Secretary, Vince Cable, asked Ofcom to advise whether the plans would restrict the range of UK media voices.

However the prime minister passed responsibility for a final ruling to the Culture Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, after Mr Cable was recorded by undercover journalists saying he had "declared war" on News Corporation's owner, Rupert Murdoch.

Mr Murdoch's company, an international media giant which owns UK newspapers the Sun, News of the World, the Times and Sunday Times, already has a 39% stake in BSkyB, but is attempting to buy the remainder.

Rival media owners, including the heads of the Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail groups, the BBC, BT and Channel 4, complained the move could have "serious and far-reaching consequences for media plurality".

Last week The Guardian reported that Mr Hunt had been holding talks with BSkyB since receiving the Ofcom report - something our business editor said may be seen as "odd" by some.

And while Mr Hunt does have the discretion to ignore Ofcom's recommendation that a lengthier and more detailed Competition Commission probe is needed, it is unlikely he would in fact do that, he added.

The bid has already been approved by the EU, which said it would not "significantly impede" competition in Europe.

Gone fishing
14-01-2011 01:38
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Krill Liberator Offline
Vapid Response Unit

RE: Sky - Newscorp Takeover
The very thought of Evil Rupe gaining yet more control over the mass media fills me with dread.
Where will I have to go to get unbiased reports of world current affairs?
Luckily, there's always Al-Jazeera, if you don't want to swallow the twisted, right-wing, rabble-rousingly opinionated shite trundled out by the poisonous aussie (no, not the Funnel-webs, Taipans, or Blue-ringed Octopuses).
Still sucks though.
Death to Evil Rupe! Grrrr (Take off and nuke the shite from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.)

Missing key events. Talking bollocks. Making stuff up.
~~~SAVE THE KRILL!~~~
14-01-2011 02:14
KateP Offline
N7 FemShep

as someone who came to the uk from canada when I first got sky I got news from home on fox news another thing he owns with the hate and lies that channel gives 24/7 the idea of him getting hold of any more power is repulsive

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" Commander Shepard We fight or we die! That's the plan!
Xbox live ID Exiled Mystique PSN Romanus1

Anastasia Harris| Tori Lee| Felicity Hill | Mikaela Witt| Evelyn | Kitty Lea | Cali Garcia | Macy Leigh | Priya | Preeti | Clare Richards| Gemma Hiles | Emma Spellar | Sophia Knight | Dionne Daniels | Adele | Teejay Walker | Paige Green | Lana | Cara Steel | Mikayla Bayliss | Danica | Kandi Kay | Delia Rose | Hannah Martin | Emma C | Cara Brett
(This post was last modified: 14-01-2011 03:17 by KateP.)
14-01-2011 03:16
SCIROCCO Offline
Banned

I am a Sky subscriber, mainly for the sports channels but am dreading Herr Rupert gaining full control. I can see prices jumping and Sky News being sponsored by the BNP. Competition, whether at work, play or anything else in life is needed to increase performance.
14-01-2011 07:31
HannahsPet Online
Posting Machine

basically i would say to rupert murdoch you can have the full stake in sky if you give every house in the uk basic freesat that would stop all the Freeviewers !!! moaning hahaha

True Supporter of Girls and Not Channels !!!!!

I always Keep getting accused of thinking the world revolves around me. . i know it doesnt . . it revolves around the sun which shines out of my arse !!!!!
14-01-2011 07:40
HEX!T Away
Retired

imagebam.com

maybe its part of an age old plan.... that only now is seeing the fruits of its labour....
world domination via a fascist news agency that is totally loyal to the secret federal fascist government of the u.s.a...

Any Babe pics posted are my Take on existing photographs. credits for the original images stays with the copyright holder if any rights apply.

Today im wearing a gray hat. tomorrow it might be white or black, it depends on my mood
(This post was last modified: 14-01-2011 11:43 by HEX!T.)
14-01-2011 09:17
Charlemagne Offline

If he takes over and prices rise, then I'll just go back to being a Virgin.
(This post was last modified: 14-01-2011 09:21 by Charlemagne.)
14-01-2011 09:21
HannahsPet Online
Posting Machine

(14-01-2011 09:21 )Charlemagne Wrote:  If he takes over and prices rise, then I'll just go back to being a Virgin.

or just get a cheap freesat box and use your dish and input the babechannels by hand 10 min job and after one of cost nada to pay again

True Supporter of Girls and Not Channels !!!!!

I always Keep getting accused of thinking the world revolves around me. . i know it doesnt . . it revolves around the sun which shines out of my arse !!!!!
14-01-2011 09:25
bombshell Offline
Hazel Nut

Ofcom said it would not be commenting on the report, as it remained confidential.

More like too intellectual for them,they probally did'nt understand the BIG words.

Its so good to be insane
nobody asks you to explain
14-01-2011 10:43
TheWatcher Offline
Ex Moderator

I was wondering who holds the shares that don't already own.

From wikipedia
-------------------------------
[Image: 2011_01_14_110836_743x139_scrot.png]
-------------------------------
14-01-2011 11:18