GEMMA HILES free subscription click here

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Post Re-Counts

aceman65 Offline
Cappers Union

Post Re-Counts
I have noticed over the last few days that threads are starting to need post re-counts doing on them a lot more than normal. I've reported 5 in the last two days alone. And god knows how many more there have been that I haven't spotted.

It always seems to happen on the post that makes the transition from one page to another. So you may wish to have the webmaster have a look at the code.

I'm not sure if everyone is experiencing the same thing, because I'm not sure if you alter the number of posts displayed per page, whether the problem still exists? But I do know the if you have it on the default 10 posts per page, you certainly see it occuring a lot.
02-10-2011 01:07
Find all posts by this user
Money_Shot Offline
ATFC - 1992

RE: Post Re-Counts
Aceman - If I think you're talking about what I was experiencing then yes I have noticed it too. I will often click the "View New Post" button up top and see the new posts, every now and again I will click on the last post made, and it will say a name e.g "aceman65" but when I click on that, the last post is actually not the newest but an old one and the newest post is no where to be seen ?

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
02-10-2011 11:39
aceman65 Offline
Cappers Union

No, not exactly what I was on about. It's when you can see who's made the last post in a particular thread from the main page, but if you click on last post to read it. It either take's you to the second last post, or throws you back to the first page. You know who's made the last post, but you just can't read it.

And it invariably happens when a person makes a post that starts off a fresh page. It usually means there's a difference in the amount of posts that are actually in the thread, and how many the forum software says it has. So you need to force the software to do a post recount, to make both numbers match. It what you call a checksum error.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 20:39 by aceman65.)
02-10-2011 13:18
Money_Shot Offline
ATFC - 1992

Ahh... yes I think we might be on about a similar thing. I did have that yesterday still. I clicked on the last post and was taken to the beginning of the thread.

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
02-10-2011 14:59
aceman65 Offline
Cappers Union

Well it's definately got something to do with the default settings. As I have just tested it on this thread:

http://www.babeshows.co.uk/showthread.ph...5&page=539

As you can see with the default settings of 10 posts per page it's saying the last page is 539. But in fact there should be 540, because rammy's post is not showing up.

But if I change the default settings to display 20 posts per page, then rammy's post shows up. So this fault definately has something to do with the default settings.

I just hope that helps Admin & his webmaster track down which peice of code that has the fault with it.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 14:36 by aceman65.)
08-10-2011 14:18
bombshell Offline
Hazel Nut

Happened to me yesterday,it showed Skateguy last post on Elite chat,it took me back to the first post made.

Its so good to be insane
nobody asks you to explain
09-10-2011 21:31
Rael 74 Away
Posting Machine

Similar thing happening with the Elite Schedule thread, clicked on last post & taken to top of Pg 37 & not Pg 38.
That's on a display setting of 25 threads per page.

Checked out a random set of 8 other threads & they were all fine.

Becky's websites... http://www.beckyrobertsonline.com/
http://officialbeckyroberts.com/tour/
10-10-2011 00:28
aceman65 Offline
Cappers Union

Thanks rael, your the first person that as actually said it still occurs when not on the default settings. But it still was the first post of a new page. bladewave

So it would seem it's a problem with calculating the first post of a new page regardless of what settings your on.

Cheers Rael. Wink
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 01:09 by aceman65.)
10-10-2011 01:09
admin. Offline
Administrator

It's easy to check on whether there is a problem with the post count on a thread which leads to the wrong number of pages being displayed in that thread. Just look at the forum display and check how many replies are shown there for the thread in question, which should tally with the total number of posts displayed in that thread (remembering to add on the original post to the number of replies). If these two don't tally the number of posts in the thread needs to be recounted. Altering the default settings to change the number of posts per page won't solve the problem, but it may conceal it temporarily until more posts are made and the next page break is reached.
11-10-2011 18:33
Charlemagne Offline

Is there a problem tonight with the Post Counts totals?

I thought that Rammy was in the 29k+ and Gaz"AV1" Aston was in the 9,900's.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 00:04 by Charlemagne.)
10-02-2012 00:01
Thread Closed 

GEMMA HILES free subscription click here

gemma hiles