Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average

Should the channels lower their ratings from 18?

blackjaques Offline
Senior Poster

RE: Should the channels lower their ratings from 18?
Excellent, Eccles.

Just shows how Ofcon are imposing their own moral views on the British people.
12-10-2011 06:28
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mrmann Offline
Posting Machine

MONEY. OfCON can't fine the other channels, especially not the pre-recorded ones, yet they can't fine the adult channels because they are live, which gives OfCON more control. All they can say to the people who are editing Sexcetera or transmitting Sexcetera is to blur out the genitals, yet 75% of the time nothing is blurred at all! However, they can monitor the babe channels more carefully since the live nature of the channels makes it easier for mistakes to occur, and since they can't blur anything out.

It's all about the money, and if it really wasn't then OfCON would not allow the other more explicit channels to be broadcast.
13-10-2011 21:31
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

Im not clear. Who says Ofcom cant fine recorded channels?

Gone fishing
14-10-2011 01:03
StanTheMan Offline
Banned

(14-10-2011 01:03 )eccles Wrote:  Im not clear. Who says Ofcom cant fine recorded channels?

Yes. I think mrmann has got his facts mixed up there. I think Ofcom can fine any channel if they break the regs - otherwise their bulletins would consist only of the babe channels.
(This post was last modified: 14-10-2011 14:26 by StanTheMan.)
14-10-2011 14:25
Scottishbloke Away
Banned

Going by tonights show's I would give them all a fucking PG, it's a fucking embarrasment, one of the worst nights I've ever witnessed in the history of the babe channels. It's disgraceful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
15-10-2011 02:20
mrmann Offline
Posting Machine

(14-10-2011 14:25 )StanTheMan Wrote:  
(14-10-2011 01:03 )eccles Wrote:  Im not clear. Who says Ofcom cant fine recorded channels?

Yes. I think mrmann has got his facts mixed up there. I think Ofcom can fine any channel if they break the regs - otherwise their bulletins would consist only of the babe channels.

What I mean was that they seem less likely to fine other sex orientated shows like Sexcetera because they are pre-recorded, whereas the adult channels can actually be monitored in real time due to the live nature. Also, seeing how half or more of the shots of genitals on Sexcetera are never blurred out, it further proves that Ofcom only really care about the adult channels and if someone complains about a non sexual program showing something they find offensive, like the X Factor dance from last year. I wonder what would happen if someone complained about Sexcetera not having blurred out shots of penises and vaginas? This is what would happen, Ofcom wouldn't care! If they really cared, then they'd have everything blurred out all of the way. Also, they don't want to lose that show, because many people watch it, so perhaps they are lenient on the nudity. Please no context comments again, because that can't be argued most of the time. Sexcetera has many shows about women and men being stimulated by sex robots with dildos as arms, or about orgies, and also other crazy things which cannot be called educational in any way!
15-10-2011 21:24
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

Context is bollox. That was made very clear in Ofcoms own surveys where it was documented that some of the survey group thought sex documentaries were just a flimsy excuse to show sex.

I suspect that context does not feature much for printed matter. Lady Chatterleys Lover OK because that is Literature but Lovebirds not because it is a stroke mag? Health & Efficiency OK because it is abot a lifestyle choice but Men Only not because shagging birds is not a lifestyle choice?

Same goes for theatre. I hear that the stage version of Cabaret can get pretty fruity at end as can some other long running shows.

Context is a flimsy excuse that broadcasters have used for years to justify exceptions to the rules in shows they like while blocking similar content for the great unwashed public. An orgy scene in opera is OK because that is Art but if a pub put something similar on before a football match they would need a sex encounter licence (and it would be refused).

Context is flimsy excuse that Ofcom jumped on because survey groups have said it affects the acceptability of content. They same groups also said the lighting affects acceptability, and how crude or sensitive the approach is. That line says set up a gentle seduction scene with soft lighting, tasteful furnishings and full on sex becomes acceptable, but if slapper yells "Go on fill my c***" under harsh lighting on a garage floor she probably cant even go topless.

Context is rubbish, but Ofcom rely on it.

Gone fishing
16-10-2011 01:43
admiral decker Offline
Seeker of truth and justice

(13-10-2011 21:31 )mrmann Wrote:  OfCON can't fine the other channels

Ofcom has fined ITV several times. They also fined the BBC.
16-10-2011 15:49
elgar1uk Offline
Posting Machine

(08-10-2011 13:56 )mrmann Wrote:  Seeing how we can't see a normal body part on adult channels, how in any way can these channels be rated 18???

Does anyone even take notice of the EPG ratings anyway?
16-10-2011 16:09
Scottishbloke Away
Banned

Yes talking of double standards, check out this clip from the X-Factor, aired well before the watershed and note where the camera focus's on, the laughable thing is you wouldn't even get away with showing something as blatant as this on an encrypted channel nevermind a free to air one and at this time of night especially. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra-cEPTUQ...re=related
16-10-2011 17:18