Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

REAL Digital TV - coming soon

Digital Dave Away
Retired

RE: REAL Digital TV - coming soon
(29-01-2012 00:22 )eccles Wrote:  So separate encryption and separate transponders? That costs money. Are all the channels actually signed up? Do they have a backer with sufficient funds to run at a loss for 12 months while the big boys undercut them?

I believe the FTA channels are on board - it's no skin off their nose because they were offered a place on the Real Digital EPG for nothing! They'll have to start paying at some point but it's not clear when.

Nobody really knows what the situation is with the pay TV services and that's the crucial thing - without a pay TV bundle on board then RD is just another Freesat, which would be pointless.

The funding behind this venture is shrouded in mystery too. Up until late last year I'd dismissed it as a non-starter, but now that there's clear evidence of set top box production at Fortec, plus the fact that the RD transponders have gone live, it might just happen!
29-01-2012 00:40
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

Eutelsat or Astra must know whos behind it, though they probably wont say. If the platform provider allows a non EU rogue broadcaster on board its ultimately the satellite company who carry the can for libel, official secrets, obscenity, etc, if the channel cant be held to account.

Gone fishing
29-01-2012 00:58
mrmann Offline
Posting Machine

I hope this will be a pro for the babe channels.
29-01-2012 01:01
arron88 Offline
Junior Poster

(29-01-2012 01:01 )mrmann Wrote:  I hope this will be a pro for the babe channels.
No it will kill them off because you have to type the PIN every time you change channel.
29-01-2012 01:06
Digital Dave Away
Retired

(29-01-2012 01:06 )arron88 Wrote:  
(29-01-2012 01:01 )mrmann Wrote:  I hope this will be a pro for the babe channels.
No it will kill them off because you have to type the PIN every time you change channel.

We don't know this for sure. It might be a single PIN to access the whole range of adult channels.
29-01-2012 01:14
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

Could be a good starter option, depending on cost. People with no access to $ky will dip a toe into the water, find they like what they see but find PIN codes frustrating and upgrade 6-12 months later.

Cant see encrypted channels lasting though. If a separate transponder is required because of incompatible encryption, the channel will have to pay the cost. Thats two transponders - one for $ky, or for REAL. Unless I have it wrong and one signal can carry two forms of encryption.

Gone fishing
29-01-2012 01:22
mrmann Offline
Posting Machine

(29-01-2012 01:14 )Digital Dave Wrote:  
(29-01-2012 01:06 )arron88 Wrote:  

We don't know this for sure. It might be a single PIN to access the whole range of adult channels.

Yes, having to put the pin in every time you switch would be annoying, so hopefully they can figure out a way around this.
29-01-2012 01:34
arron88 Offline
Junior Poster

(29-01-2012 01:34 )mrmann Wrote:  Yes, having to put the pin in every time you switch would be annoying, so hopefully they can figure out a way around this.
I don't think there is anyway around it (ever) !
29-01-2012 01:39
shylok Offline
Senior Poster

No so much a separate transponder (although they are using one) but a new or modified FTA receiver. From what I can see RDTV will encrypt using CONAX (Sky use NDS). This means a whole new set top box OR a set top box that has a slot to accept a CONAX CAM and the appropriate viewing card. E.g. http://www.pulsat.com/products/Conax-NP4...t-CAM.html about £50 - £60

I have no idea if everything will be 'soft encryped' on RDTV (still needing the CONAX stuff) and/or only the PPV material 'hard encrypted' (needing a card)...

I scanned the satellite forums yesterday and there's very little hard facts about RDTV only loads of speculation... It all seems a bit 'imaginary' atm.

Pins may be a 'relativity' small price to pay for more Babe TV 'freedom'...

Regards

S

edit * It seems there is a (yes just 1!!!) RDTV STB being used out there and claiming to pick up TV signals even! The whole RDTV project seems shrouded in some mystery atm... Will keep digging...

(29-01-2012 01:22 )eccles Wrote:  Could be a good starter option, depending on cost. People with no access to $ky will dip a toe into the water, find they like what they see but find PIN codes frustrating and upgrade 6-12 months later.

Cant see encrypted channels lasting though. If a separate transponder is required because of incompatible encryption, the channel will have to pay the cost. Thats two transponders - one for $ky, or for REAL. Unless I have it wrong and one signal can carry two forms of encryption.

Join OFCOM today we offer decent salaries + a company bonus scheme (based on how much pain you can inflict on the British public) - http://www.ofcom.org.uk/files/2011/05/sa...e-2011.pdf
(This post was last modified: 29-01-2012 08:41 by shylok.)
29-01-2012 06:47
elgar1uk Offline
Posting Machine

I'm confused. Is this Real Digital a satellite tv and definitely not cable tv? And what does it compete with, Sky or freesat? Or is it for those who don't currently have multi-channel tv? And what is it's selling point?
29-01-2012 11:14