gemma hiles

GEMMA HILES free subscription click here

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average

Misuse of Rate User / Rep

Jam Da Man Offline

RE: Misuse of Rate User / Rep
(09-06-2012 22:08 )Boomerangutangangbang Wrote:  
(09-06-2012 21:25 )Woiiii Wrote:  Is it that big of a deal?

I believe that if you've got a tool you should use it with respect.You can still knock a nail in with a chisel but that doesn't make it right.A hammer would be the correct method.people will observe you using the chisel & copy,this leads to bad habits

Depending on the nail, and where it is being knocked into, a Nail Punch would be used (in place of a chisel) to sink the nail head below the surface, to be filled and then painted over - thus allowing for a quality finish.
Of course, some people would just use a Nail Gun for speed, but that can lead to unpredictable results, as well as requiring regular maintenance and a large outlay of funds.

My point (possibly) is that if someone joins and then shortly afterwards chooses to use the rep system to dish out a load of positive reps, then fine - nothing wrong about that. Giving some decent comments within those reps can show that those reps are given for a reason.
Perhaps to continue the earlier scenario, by potentially "over-repping", you consider that the member has blunted (and possibly chipped) his chisel by banging in too many nails with it? Smile

For a member to get 12 reps back in a short time, means either he/she posted something extraordinary, or repped many members, many of whom rep back, possibly in a manner similar to how Regenerated has just described.
I very much doubt that rate of rep point gain would long continue, but I wouldn't consider it "misuse" for someone to rep prominent members, who as you say, contribute in many ways towards this Forum, not just the members posting caps/vids, but many people in many ways posting for varied reasons. Smile

....That's my (slightly inebriated) opinion, anyway. Smile

"The road to Good Intentions be paved with Hell"

09-06-2012 23:06
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
misterG Offline
Senior Poster

I don't understand the rep system here and use it sparingly - apart from a few outstanding posters I haven't repped anyone since i had a pm asking me to rep and promising one in return.
I generally thank whenever someone posts something I like, or particularly if I download. I've used the example before, but I've seen more thanks on a post where one member has insulted another than I received for posting a vid that has been downloaded over 350 times - I'm sure thats nothing compared to the uberposters but speaks volumes for the mentality of many people here and shows why the system is pointless.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 01:10 by misterG.)
10-06-2012 01:00
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

It was about a year before I repped anyone because it just hadnt occurred to me. I thanked posts but the rep system didnt leap out at me. These days I rep when I think someone has gone abobe and beyond (or signed the petition) but with the best will in the world it often doesnt occur to me. My feeling is that the rep system is used by more knowledgeable members. Some people really value getting a rep, others are more laid back.

Gone fishing
10-06-2012 01:32
The Silent Majority Offline
Not any more

(09-06-2012 21:13 )Boomerangutangangbang Wrote:  Isn't it time that we educated new members & re-educutate existing members about the rep system.Today I discovered that it has reach an all-time low.Here are the alarming stats.New member joined 4 days ago - 5 posts - 12 reps.At that current rate they will achieve 1095 reps in a year !

Unless you give links to the 5 posts so we can judge for ourselves, your point is meaningless.

I got 3 reps for my first post alone (which would also put me at 1095 in a year) because I think it struck a cord with other members, then didn't get another for 6 months.

I've gained a few more now, which I appreciate, but I don't really expect them, not being a capper or vid poster.
10-06-2012 10:01
Boomerangutangangbang Offline
Owned by Kelly Bell

(10-06-2012 10:01 )The Silent Majority Wrote:  
(09-06-2012 21:13 )Boomerangutangangbang Wrote:  Isn't it time that we educated new members & re-educutate existing members about the rep system.Today I discovered that it has reach an all-time low.Here are the alarming stats.New member joined 4 days ago - 5 posts - 12 reps.At that current rate they will achieve 1095 reps in a year !

Unless you give links to the 5 posts so we can judge for ourselves, your point is meaningless.
I didn't want to draw attention to the posts as this was in no way a dig at them or any other member.It is up to the individual how you rep.What I will say in my opinion nothing stood out at me & as mentioned in earlier posts most of the reps were a thank you for reps received.I have at times repped in return,but usually I take the time to check what content they have posted.I guess the question I'm asking is should we automatically rep back out of manners or not.I can't think that sending a pm & asking for a rep with the promise of one in return is the way this is meant to work.

FORUM AWARDS POSTER OF THE YEAR 2022 & 2023

Muchi-wa shifuku dearu

...And Justice For All - Metallica
10-06-2012 11:16
The Silent Majority Offline
Not any more

(10-06-2012 11:16 )Boomerangutangangbang Wrote:  I guess the question I'm asking is should we automatically rep back out of manners or not.

Yeah, ok, that's a fair enough question. I do sometimes but not automatically.

(10-06-2012 11:16 )Boomerangutangangbang Wrote:  I can't think that sending a pm & asking for a rep with the promise of one in return is the way this is meant to work.

I've never had that but they'd get one alright, a neg one!
10-06-2012 12:35
dan g 27 Offline
Hairy Fucker

I'm guilty at times for given reps in return after been given one my self. But I also give reps to people, who deserve one, such as the cappers, the ones that write articulate posts, the people who write very funny posts and I give reps to people, who know and enjoy their football
10-06-2012 12:42
iloveMegan Offline
And Rebecca Jade

Well the poster in question is now up to 17 reps from five posts. The majority of reps they have are from people returning reps they have been given, which is fair enough I suppose if posters want to return the rep, but it does make a bit of a mockery of the system.

At least it's not as bad as some the girls' rep counts, including one who also has 17 positives reps all without making a single post eek

"You are rude" - Michelle Thorne
"haha ilM you sick bastard" - Rev Tsu

This is the internet! How else can I communicate with you other than from behind my computer screen?
10-06-2012 13:39
eagle_si Offline
Account Closed

I’ve virtually stopped posting here, for various reasons, but still have a look at what’s happening. Seeing this thread has prompted me to (briefly) come out of retirement.

I can see the benefits of having the rep system, the main one of which is that members who make a real contribution get some recognition for their efforts. sweetsugar made a very good point when he said that it’s nice when it’s genuine. And there’s the problem. There have been forum members (past and present) who seem to think it’s a popularity contest, and have dished out reps left, right and centre, not for the quality of the posting, but in a cynical bid to boost their own rep score. The worst case is when a new member makes a post in a girl’s thread saying little more than “girl X is great” and then almost instantly gets a rep saying “for being a fan of girl X”. It certainly does make cappers/vid makers wonder if it’s all worth it when someone’s rep count shoots up disproportionately to their contribution on here.
On this note, is it possible to find out/display how many reps a member has given, as well as those received? There would be some very interesting patterns revealed if that were the case.

So what to do about it? As the system is ultimately meaningless, just scrap it completely. Or if it stays, how about a minimum threshold for being eligible for reps (e.g. 50 posts). As has been said in similar threads in the past, the total number of thanks received is a much better reflection of a member’s contribution. Though as I am, or was, in the overall top ten for thanks, I would say that, wouldn’t I Wink

Favourite babes remaining: Hannah Martin, Abbey B, Clare Richards, Paige Green, Becky Roberts, Abbee Kimberly, Electra
10-06-2012 16:46
malicious fan Offline
Posting Machine

yeah ur rite it dont really matter at the end of the day! anyway if you have arguments with people on here then you have no chance of getting reps or thanx off them no matter what you do! i remember on occasions where i have put a song on the listening to music forum and people have'nt thanked me although they thanked other people who put the same song up and thanked people for the songs just before mine and just after mine, but there you go, just way life is!

have your own opinion, lead dont follow.
10-06-2012 17:29

GEMMA HILES free subscription click here

gemma hiles