Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average

Rules and Regulations

eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

RE: Rules and Regulations
When it comes to radio, stations have to abide by a particular format and be on air. This has resulted in absurdities such as protected investigations into channels that have become insolvent during which Ofcom has written to the reciever for a radio station that they know is not broadcasting, and formally asking the reciever if the channel is fulfilling its licence conditions.

However community radio is regarded as a scarce resource, not least because there is a very limited local advertising market, and it is regarded as something of a priveledge to hold a local radio licence.

When it comes to satellite and cable channels I doubt that applies and have never heard of Ofcom complaining that a TV channel has been off air, or failed to deliver a particular type of programming - documentaries, news, lifestyle, arts, childrens. There was sod all they could do when ITV - one of the biggest players in the market and terristrial must-carry public service broadcaster - scaled back its childrens TV. The nearest they get is to object if a channel strays into a category for which they do not hold a tick in the box, eg teleshopping or adult. Even then the remedy is to formally request a category be added to the licence and wait for approval.

So far as I know there is no form of quota operating on Sky, Virgin or Freeview. Sky themselves probably encourage different types of broadcaster, but that is business, not regulation.

As for encryption, for almost all broadcasting that is a commercial decision. Sky has content on encrypted subscription channels that can also be seen free to air. Casper, Independence Day and Gangs of New York are on film channels right now, The Butterfly Effect starts in 20 minutes. In general subscription allows slightly more leeway about start times for 15 movies but thats all.

The only real exception is adult content, where there is a total prohibition on "adult sex" content except on paidfor encrypted channels. But there is no quota or obligation for Ofcom to enforce.

As for the people adult channels rent bandwidth from, I doubt they care what is broadcast provided it is legal. At worst they might object to a type of content on moral grounds, but if they did that they could be stripped of their own licence rights on discrimination grounds.

Now if you dont mind, having been inspired by posts here I am going to try and complain about the lack of entertainment on daytime ITV. Its worth a try. Dear Sir, I am writing to complain about so called entertainment that is nothing of the sort ... Dickinsons Real Deal, May The Best House Win*, Loose Women...

(* A well known supermarket sponsored May The Best House Win, until there was an undue emphasis on kitchens, cheap pies and the show was nicknamed May The Best Horse Win. The last straw was a kitchen with bags of shergar and epsom salts all over the place, a lucky horseshoe over the door and festooned with horse brasses. Supermarket bosses said hay, they canter have that even if it was galloping ahead in ratings, so they chopped it. Pity really, it was a whinnying formula.)

Gone fishing
04-06-2013 23:41
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrRobP Offline

Censorship
I doubt it will ever happen, but why can't shows like Red Light/Babestation and so on ever go full frontal? I mean this stuff isn't exactly a kids show and given the huge time slot it has on from 10pm til 5:30am, surely after a certain time they should be allowed to lose the G-strings like they are with taking their tops off?

Just really bugs me because Tv will happily curse and have shows where somebody will get shot or killed/use mindless violence after a certain time yet a woman taking her knickers off on an adult show is a big no no? Huh
08-07-2013 16:21
continental19 Offline
Posting Machine

I agree with the previous post, 10 - 5.30pm the Adult channels should be allowed to go full nude, to say that the female pussy will cause so called harm and offence is well and truly beyond me, if the male penis can happily be shown then the female vagina can be shown to, so much for equal opportunity.
11-07-2013 20:44
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

Unfortunately there is no mechanism for viewers to complain that enforcement is too tight. Its a one way street. Only the broadcasters can complain, and it is quite clear that is not going to happen.

Gone fishing
13-07-2013 01:08
Scottishbloke Away
Banned

Interesting point there eccles, I mean could I not phone ofcom up and complain that tonights watered down rat's piss of an excuse for a show did not meet my viewer expectation level's and thus caused me mental trauma which put me on the brink of throwing my telly out of the fucking window in frustration Wink

Moving on Rolleyes I was speaking to a fellow capper the other day via the PM system and he was telling me how his broadband is slow and this has had a severe effect on his capping aswell as his inabilty to contribute anything on the video making front.

I advised him to give ofcom a phone as I'm sure they'd understand Wink afterall broadband speed is in their interests so if you are having difficulty streaming Babestation then ironically ofcom are the best ones to complain to laugh

PS - My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet is still showing full on pussy in the middle of the afternoon - Please take note Ofcom Cool
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2013 04:19 by Scottishbloke.)
13-07-2013 02:48
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

(13-07-2013 02:48 )Scottishbloke Wrote:  PS - My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet is still showing full on pussy in the middle of the afternoon - Please take note Ofcom Cool

Any catfights? 2fur1s?

Gone fishing
14-07-2013 02:29
RESPONSIBLE ADULT Offline
Banned

It's not just rules and regulations that govern what goes on in keeping the babechannels in check. It's the way people are now programmed to accept everything that is now put in front of them. The babechannels being a good example of "like it or lump it"....... It as been decided by someone, that instead of upsetting a tiny minority, they shall be fair about it and piss everyone off. And as I say it is not just adult tv. But almost everything that involves the majorities livelihood and pastimes. Thanks a fucking lot you ruling classes.
17-07-2013 09:26
RESPONSIBLE ADULT Offline
Banned

In a follow up to my last mail, I have just read in today's papers that the Advertising Standard Agency have banned the advert for the new Renault Clio because of the dancing girls appearing in it. I have not seen the particular advert myself, but I can't see it being too outrageous. In fact only one person complained. But that was enough to get the advert pulled. In the very same newspaper I read people are flummoxed by their power bills and not being able to make head nor tail of them and in some cases being overcharged. Why oh' fucking why? isn't my complaint listened to when I complain about things that really matter, like being ripped off by some fucking foreign investor, oh no, but if I see as much as shapely ankle exposed, and complain, then god forbid the people responsible.
17-07-2013 16:57
munch1917 Offline
Silence is golden

(17-07-2013 16:57 )RESPONSIBLE ADULT Wrote:  In a follow up to my last mail, I have just read in today's papers that the Advertising Standard Agency have banned the advert for the new Renault Clio because of the dancing girls appearing in it. I have not seen the particular advert myself, but I can't see it being too outrageous. In fact only one person complained. But that was enough to get the advert pulled. In the very same newspaper I read people are flummoxed by their power bills and not being able to make head nor tail of them and in some cases being overcharged. Why oh' fucking why? isn't my complaint listened to when I complain about things that really matter, like being ripped off by some fucking foreign investor, oh no, but if I see as much as shapely ankle exposed, and complain, then god forbid the people responsible.

What has any of that got to do with Ofcom/Broadcasting Regulations?

"I'm a featherless bird ... in a sky so absurd"

Sophia - Becky - Mica - Camilla - Ella
(This post was last modified: 17-07-2013 18:24 by munch1917.)
17-07-2013 18:23
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

The fortnightly broadcasting bulletin was due out today, but sod protecting the nation from filth, its hot weather so Ofcom has gone to the beach instead.

Gone fishing
29-07-2013 21:24