Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

BBC kills watershed

Grawth Offline
Senior Poster

BBC kills watershed
The BBC has now decided that it's OK for programmes not suitable for pre-watershed broadcast to be shown as early as 8pm!

As reported here, it is apparently OK for non child-friendly programming to be broadcast before 9pm because (and I'm paraphrasing here) it would not offend those who normally watch the programme (Holby City in this case).

It'll be interesting to see if Ofcom does anything. If they choose to ignore the complaints then surely adult channels can use the excuse "people who choose to watch the adult channels wouldn't be offended by it".

Here's hoping!
31-07-2013 21:35
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

RE: BBC kills watershed
Strange admission as Ofprude have consistently found against channels that have broadcast swearwords prewatershed even where the audience is known to be grown up and familiar with the content.

However the article is from the Daily Mail, a paper well known for trolling the BBC and, often forgotten, a commercial rival for new coverage and an advertising funded website.

Ofcoms own research says "In terms of strong language, most participants found the words ‘cunt’, ‘fuck’, ‘motherfucker’, ‘pussy’, ‘cock’ and ‘twat’ unacceptable pre-watershed and also wanted care to be taken over the use of the words ‘bitch’, ‘bastard’, ‘bugger’, ‘dick’, ‘wanker’, ‘shag’, ‘slag’ and ‘shit’."

Shag was put into category 3 (medium acceptability) with "slag" and "dick". "As a result, some
participants thought there were some contexts in which these words would be
acceptable on television pre-watershed. However they said that care needed to be taken over their use, based on the principles discussed in the previous section, particularly whether children were likely to be listening or watching and whether programmes were intended to be family viewing."

Strangely the researchers also put "shag" into category 1 "higher acceptability" but that could be a separate exercise.

I don't think this totally lets the BBC off the hook as Holby City is one of those awful dramas that Mums love because they focus on medical drama, doctors, weepy stories and over the top relationships, and Mums love inflicting those on their families. I know mine does.

Gone fishing
31-07-2013 22:15
munch1917 Offline
Silence is golden

Typical Mail sensationalism, making a story out of nothing.

"not all programming shown an hour before the watershed is suitable for younger children"

What that really means is that some of these programmes are really aimed at adults. No surprise there, childrens programming typically runs from around 4pm to 6pm. The very next thing on is the news, which, shock, horror, is not a kiddies show!
The likes of Eastenders has adult themes, often dealing with sex, violence, drugs, alcohol, all themes that may not be suitable for younger children! Would you class something like Embarrassing Bodies, which frequently has graphic images of genitals, as suitable for younger children?
They are discussing Holby City, which is not exactly a kids show, it's aimed at adults.

No real story here, just some clever reporting to make something seem like something it's not.

"I'm a featherless bird ... in a sky so absurd"

Sophia - Becky - Mica - Camilla - Ella
31-07-2013 23:00
tuesdayslump Offline
Banned

Oh cock annoyed
01-08-2013 00:06
Grawth Offline
Senior Poster

My point was really that if the bbc is allowed to use the excuse that "this would not offend normal viewers of the show" then surely others can too. After all, has anyone ever met a viewer of the babeshows who would be offended if the girls' pussies were on show?
01-08-2013 23:28
Digital Dave Away
Retired

I think you've got a good point Grawth. When persecuting babe channels Ofcom has persistently used the mantra that they 'exceed viewer expectation', or some such nonsense.

This new policy effectively shoots that logic out of the water. If people tune into babe channels they should reasonably expect to see images of nudity. Normal viewers of these shows would not be offended by such images.
02-08-2013 00:10
shylok Offline
Senior Poster

"OFCOM" should be put in Cat 1. Same as "CUNT" and "FASCIST". IMHO I'm offended even saying the word.

Just saying...

Join OFCOM today we offer decent salaries + a company bonus scheme (based on how much pain you can inflict on the British public) - http://www.ofcom.org.uk/files/2011/05/sa...e-2011.pdf
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 06:04 by shylok.)
03-08-2013 06:04
lovebabes56 Offline
The No.1 Teddy Bear!!

(02-08-2013 00:10 )Digital Dave Wrote:  I think you've got a good point Grawth. When persecuting babe channels Ofcom has persistently used the mantra that they 'exceed viewer expectation', or some such nonsense.

This new policy effectively shoots that logic out of the water. If people tune into babe channels they should reasonably expect to see images of nudity. Normal viewers of these shows would not be offended by such images.

I wonder how Mary Whitehouse would feel? Surely you can also class ITV doing the same thing with Emmerdale & Corrie and Ch4 with Hollyoaks?

FERRARI & LOVEBABES, - BABE CHANNELS ULTIMATE COUPLE!!
CURRENT BS BABE FAVES :- MIGHTY MIKAELA WITT, DUCHESS DARELLE OLIVER, SULTRY STORMI MACK,
ALL - TIME BABE FAVES:- FERNANDA FERARRI , MELLIE D AND MIKAELA WITT PHOENIX KNIGHT[ DENNI TAYLA, SEXY STEVIE LOUISE
'ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE" - LIFE OF BRIAN
04-08-2013 08:39
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

The BBC is under fire for an episode of hospital drama Holby City that could scare off organ donors. The BBC said it was intended to show what happens when rules are broken.

Quote:BBC drama Holby City has been accused of scaring off organ donors.

Last week's episode depicted a mother's struggle to decide whether her brain-dead daughter should donate her heart. In one scene, she saw the operation in progress, despite withdrawing consent.

NHS Blood and Transplant said several potential donors had asked to be removed from the register as a result.

The BBC said the plot was meant to show what happened if rules were ignored. In a letter of complaint, NHS Blood and Transplant said the episode was "misleading" and "wholly inaccurate". It said producers had ignored the concerns of a senior transplant nurse who had been consulted on the script.

Gone fishing
06-08-2013 01:04
munch1917 Offline
Silence is golden

^^^ Frankly, if people are making important life decisions based on the content of tv dramas, then I think it's those people who have a problem, not the BBC!

"I'm a featherless bird ... in a sky so absurd"

Sophia - Becky - Mica - Camilla - Ella
06-08-2013 06:30