Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Getter Better Picture on PP / BSD

DrGrumpyPants Away
Account closed

Getter Better Picture on PP / BSD
Hey Guys

I know a lot of people have had trouble with the pic settings this cos its gone from 4:3 to widescreen 16:9

If you have a 4:3 telly you can change it to a 4:3letterbox mode this mimics the widescreen although you get 2 black bars at the top and bottom of the screen the picture doesnt distort

to change to 4:3 letterbox

Services button on sky remote

choose system setup

choose picture settings

select picture format pres the > button til 4:3L appears

press down arrow til save new settings is highlighted and select

and when you leave the menu and press the sky button it should be in the correct format

hope this helps some of you
04-06-2009 23:08
Find all posts by this user
Rammyrascal Offline
Team Thicc

RE: Getter Better Picture on PP / BSD
or change it to 16:9

Piper Niven Superfan
05-06-2009 08:04
Dreamlander Offline

If you have a 4:3 TV it should already be in Sky's 4:3 letterbox as the majority of TV channels now broadcast in 4:3 anamorphic which requires a 16:9 TV to stretch it to a standard aspect ratio.4:3 channels like 644 and 203 for instance will still fill your screen on a 4:3 TV but the others like most Sky channels will have the bars but retain a proper aspect picture.Leaving your Sky box in 4:3 on a 4:3 TV means you miss the left and right sections of your picture which usually contain graphics of some kind and usually a character or two when watching a film lol! Smile
The problem with 906 and 909 at the moment is that they don't seem to be broadcasting the 16:9 trigger that tells your widescreen TV what aspect ratio to put the broadcast in and you have to do it manually which takes a while when you are constantly changing channels like I,and I'm sure many others,are.If you have a widescreen TV and it's not accepting the trigger and some channels appear stretched or skinny then go to Services and press 4 then 1 and turn Scart Control to ON if it isn't already.If it is ON already then do the same in your TV menu,there should be a similar option there.

Dreamlander
05-06-2009 09:18
DrGrumpyPants Away
Account closed

i sure i specified it was for 4:3 tellys that im still in the stone age when in comes to telly still use CRT as find pic quality better thinking upgrading in near future well folks are gettin lcd with sky hd so means i get the new sky+ box which is a bonus
05-06-2009 10:13
Dreamlander Offline

Yeah,you did I was more talking about the fact that we only have to mess around with these picture sizes because the more 'niche' channels don't transmit a trigger to tell Sky boxes how to display a 16:9 picture on a 4:3 TV and a 4:3 anamorphic picture on a 16:9 TV.
I bought my LCD TV on Boxing day 2007 as it was in the sales.I held off until then because I had a Sony Trinitron 29" 4:3 and a JVC 28" 16:9 at the time.They were both award winners and had great picture quality.They took up a hell of a lot of room though!
The main thing I think LCD TVs do better is you don't notice any 'flicker' when there are very bright images on the screen.Every pixel refreshes at the same time not from top left to bottom right like CRTs do so it's more relaxing on the eye.Also not seeing any curvature on any straight lines on the TV is brilliant.Even my supposedly flatscreen JVC cannot reproduce perfectly straight lines because the 'gun' in a CRT TV is affected by the Earth's magnetic field.Also,they are quite good as PC screens to watch your Rapidshare downloads on! Big Grin

Dreamlander
05-06-2009 10:36
Thread Closed 

Click here to watch Babestation TV