The UK Babe Channels Forum
Sir Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012 RIP - Printable Version

+- The UK Babe Channels Forum (https://www.babeshows.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: All Other Subjects (/forumdisplay.php?fid=114)
+---- Forum: News Zone (/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+----- Forum: In Memoriam (/forumdisplay.php?fid=368)
+----- Thread: Sir Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012 RIP (/showthread.php?tid=51936)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Sir Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012 RIP - Stillroom Rock - 09-12-2012 15:58

Sad news RIP

RE: Sir Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012 RIP - Gibbs Luvs Dani O - 09-12-2012 16:40

Sad news,indeed.
Will be missed.
Turned a lot of minds onto astronomy,science.Loved watching his broadcasts always had intersting topics,that even a leyman like myself could grasp.
Top bloke

RE: Sir Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012 RIP - Scottishbloke - 09-12-2012 18:04

He really did set the benchmark with everything regards astronomy. One of the few people who actually managed to make the subject sound interesting. A lot of people were heavily influenced by him and that's one of the reasons science is such an interesting subject today but he was the true original. A great contributer and a man that will never ever be forgotten. His legacy will live on for generations to come.

RE: Sir Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012 RIP - mellover - 09-12-2012 23:53

(09-12-2012 18:04 )Scottishbloke Wrote:  A lot of people were heavily influenced by him and that's one of the reasons science is such an interesting subject today but he was the true original.

He, David attenborough, the old open university programmes, the mornng school programmes, johnny ball, magnus pike, heather cooper, mirriam stoppard were all the reasons that made my interest in science and why I went to Uni to study science (oddly, listenieng to Zoe ball on the way to morning lectures)

Todays, science programmes I can no longer watch, they have to be full of idiotic cgi, they have to be presented as total fact like a nature program and the presenters shoving their own personal bias, even the once mightly Horizon hasn't escaped this.

One programme that still remains in tact from the old days was Sky at night, simply, objectively but expertly presented. Probably only David attenbrough was more articulate in front of camera, but he probably had may takes.

I hope whoever takes over on sky at Night and the bbc will leave the format just has it is - how he left it, perfectly how science programs are suposed to be done.

RE: Sir Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012 RIP - bombshell - 10-12-2012 10:56

Quote:I hope whoever takes over on sky at Night and the bbc will leave the format just has it is - how he left it, perfectly how science programs are suposed to be done.

Unfortunately i doubt that it will ever be the same again,Sir Patrick was a one off, a true English Gent and as an amateur his enthusiasm for his chosen subject was inspiring.

RE: Sir Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012 RIP - Gordon_Bennett - 15-12-2012 15:13

Presented 'The Sky At Night' for over 50 years! His last broadcast was just a few days before he passed on.

R.I.P. Sir Patrick.

RE: Sir Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012 RIP - mr williams - 06-01-2013 18:13

In his last few years Patrick Moore was unable to travel to London to record The Sky at Night due to severe arthritis, so the BBC recorded the programmes in advance at his home.

Tonight's edition was recorded just before his death so it might be his final show. Midnight on BBC1, repeated at 19.30 on Friday on BBC4.

RE: Sir Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012 RIP - Money_Shot - 07-01-2013 00:14

Didn't get a chance to say before hand.... We've another star in the sky now. R.I.P Sir Patrick Moore , one of the last legends of our time.

RE: Sir Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012 RIP - mr williams - 07-01-2013 01:05

The announcer confirmed at the beginning of the programme that it was his last appearance and the script was edited with a voiceover and closing sequence to take account of his death.

There's now a big black hole in the centre of astronomy in this country and it's one that might never be filled Sad