The UK Babe Channels Forum
Dad's Army - New Series - Printable Version

+- The UK Babe Channels Forum (https://www.babeshows.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: All Other Subjects (/forumdisplay.php?fid=114)
+---- Forum: TV & Film Zone (/forumdisplay.php?fid=79)
+---- Thread: Dad's Army - New Series (/showthread.php?tid=60127)

Pages: 1 2

Dad's Army - New Series - Billy_Nomates - 28-04-2014 15:58

The BBC have announced they are bringing back this show which last aired in 1977. A completely new cast of course. Toby Jones will play Captain Mainwaring and Bill Nighy will play Sergeant Wilson.

The original co-writer, Jimmy Perry, now 90, will be involved in the writing the scripts.

RE: Dad's Army - New Series - Addison - 28-04-2014 16:07

This isn't going to end well.

RE: Dad's Army - New Series - HannahsPet - 28-04-2014 16:11

(28-04-2014 15:58 )Billy_Nomates Wrote:  The BBC have announced they are bringing back this show which last aired in 1977. A completely new cast of course. Toby Jones will play Captain Mainwaring and Bill Nighy will play Sergeant Wilson.

The original co-writer, Jimmy Perry, now 90, will be involved in the writing the scripts.

dont know could be ok

had to be complete new cast only 2 of the original cast prob still survive WinkWink

RE: Dad's Army - New Series - Robot Devil - 28-04-2014 16:12

WHY ?!?!? Why would they re-make/butcher a classic, and much loved sitcom, instead of just give some writers the freedom to create something new ? Or, at worst, get them to re-make a show that wasn't a success first time around and see if modern writers can do anything with them ? Who knows, maybe in 15 or 20 years they'll re-make Only Fools or Faulty Towers too ! Awful

RE: Dad's Army - New Series - Addison - 28-04-2014 16:19

"Don't let them, Pike!"

RE: Dad's Army - New Series - circles_o_o_o - 28-04-2014 16:25

Doesn't sound like something I would want to watch. The real thing was full of an innocent charm.
And old men nowadays just don't look as old as they used to - some of those original guys looked half dead in the parade line-ups. The new cast will look like Ant & Dec in prosthetics.
Besides, the whole premise of the show is lost in the mists of time now.

RE: Dad's Army - New Series - Tumble_Drier - 28-04-2014 16:31

The BBC would do better to invest in some decent documentaries about the war aimed at Schools.

Dad's Army was brilliant, but it belongs in the past.

RE: Dad's Army - New Series - andyjb - 28-04-2014 16:31

Just been reading reports on this, and they are saying, with this coming from The Guardian,

" A film adaptation of classic BBC sitcom Dad's Army is coming to the big screen with Toby Jones and Bill Nighy set for lead roles, reports the Sunday Times. "

Full report here,

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/apr/28/dads-army-film-bbc-bill-nighy-toby-jones

Don't think it will match the original film though.

Can't see anything mentioned about a series.

RE: Dad's Army - New Series - elgar1uk - 28-04-2014 21:35

Yes it appears that the new production is a film, not a TV series. I can't see the BBC ever making another series.

RE: Dad's Army - New Series - Billy_Nomates - 30-04-2014 15:42

Yes. I only discovered after I made my initial post that in fact it's going to be a feature film and not a series. Oops, sorry about misleading you all. Blush