The UK Babe Channels Forum
David Trimble - R.I.P - Printable Version

+- The UK Babe Channels Forum (https://www.babeshows.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: All Other Subjects (/forumdisplay.php?fid=114)
+---- Forum: News Zone (/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+----- Forum: In Memoriam (/forumdisplay.php?fid=368)
+----- Thread: David Trimble - R.I.P (/showthread.php?tid=86178)

David Trimble - R.I.P - Snooks - 25-07-2022 20:15

Former First Minister of Northern Ireland and leader of the Ulster Unionist Party David Trimble has passed away at the age of 77.

Condolences to family and friends.

RE: David Trimble - R.I.P - hornball - 25-07-2022 20:32

Indeed so! Sad news, and somewhat of a surprise, as I - at least - was unaware that he was ill. Maybe not the most popular of political figures, but we in NI are only too keenly aware of the extent to which he (and J Hume/M McGuinness) went out on a limb to see us to a better and brighter future. To say he took risks is a gross understatement - risks which in many ways cost him and the UUP dear.

There will be many blinkered views from people who will see his history in only one dimension i.e Drumcree/Anglo Irish Agreement opposition - (I opposed it also btw), but he saw that things were getting so bad at the time with tit - for - tat violence (again as did J Hume - I will never forget his particular outward sign of despair at attending yet another funeral) that he reached a point of 'enough is enough'

One could reasonably argue that the UUP's demise was precipitated by his actions, but that was a relatively small price to pay! I know that the 'Big Man' also played an important role in the end but make no mistake, I do not believe that he would have ever been likely to 'get the ball rolling'

RE: David Trimble - R.I.P - lovebabes56 - 28-07-2022 19:53

I think there will be many in politics this side of the Irish Sea who will be grateful for the part he he played in brokering the Agreement.